New wheelset

Rhod81
Rhod81 Posts: 116
edited December 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi everyone.

After my Fulcrum racing 7s suffered a pretty catastrophic break, i have been offered a full refund (of vouchers, at least).

Whilst they've been off getting accessed ive borrowed a set of Shimano R501s which seem a lot better (stronger and stiffer-feeling). They're £40 cheaper leaving me to make up the £125 voucher elsewhere.

Or... Do i pay an extra £20 and get the Aksium wheelset???

They're going to be on my summer, more sportier-sportive bike, so they should avoid the worst of the crappy weather. Im not racing.

The one main deciding factor maybe is im around the 90-95kg mark. Ive heard that the mavics have a 100kg limit...

Thanks.

Comments

• I'm 95Kg and have used bothy Aksium and 501 on my commute bike. I started out with a set of Aksium but after some months the rear developed an annoying metallic ping which my LBS couldn't cure. I swapped it for another aksium rear which collapsed catastophically a couple of years later. In it's defence it had done a fair few miles without any attention or care.

anyway I replaced the rear with a cheaper 501 and that has given sterling service with the same level of neglect. If you were commuting I'd say 501's but as you are just sportive riding you should be ok with the Aksiums
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition