Best way to check if a wheel is true ?

mjw1234
mjw1234 Posts: 14
edited December 2014 in Road general
I've just fitted some new Zonda's to my ribble bike and noticed the rear wheel isn't spinning as freely as i'd expect.

One of the rear pads is catching it every rotation, not hugely but enough to slow it down. I can't see how this could happen unless the wheel was slightly out of line.

I could adjust the brakes but that would leave me thinking the wheel wasn't perfect

What do people normally do in this situation ?

tia,
Mike.

Comments

• napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Adjust the brakes.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Tweak the spokes to adjust it if it is bothering you enough.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • Make sure the wheel is sitting correctly in the dropouts. Center the caliper around the rim, so that the pads are at the same distance, then spin the wheel, it should be true and it should sit exactly between the rear stays. If any of the two is not true, then return it. Don't try to true it yourself, just return it
    left the forum March 2023
  • mjw1234 wrote:
    I've just fitted some new Zonda's to my ribble bike and noticed the rear wheel isn't spinning as freely as i'd expect.

One of the rear pads is catching it every rotation, not hugely but enough to slow it down. I can't see how this could happen unless the wheel was slightly out of line.

I could adjust the brakes but that would leave me thinking the wheel wasn't perfect

What do people normally do in this situation ?

tia,
    Mike.

If its new return it for warranty replacement
  • JayKosta
    JayKosta Posts: 635
    With the wheels installed on the bike, first try moving the rim side-to-side with your fingers.
    At the very most there might be a little movement that you can feel, but is difficult to see.
    This is to verify that the wheel bearings are adjusted / installed properly.

Then spin the wheels and look for side-to-side AND up-and-down movement of the rim.
    Also look to verify that the wheels are in alignment with the frame - front wheel centered in the fork and with the head tube, rear wheel in line with the seat tube and head tube.

If the wheel is not in alignment with the frame, then the wheel needs major adjustment (or something is amiss with the frame). Side-to-side or up-n-down rim movement needs truing by someone who knows how.

You should also install your old wheels and observe any differences in how they fit compared to the new ones.

The brake calipers and pad spacing might need to be adjusted if the new rims are wider than the originals.

Since they are NEW wheels, inspect them as described here and earlier, and then contact the supplier to discuss problems ...

Jay Kosta
    Endwell NY USA