rapha winter jersey

ianbar
ianbar Posts: 1,354
edited January 2015 in Road buying advice
so looking on the sale i see the raphia winter jersey. not sure how this fits into my wardrobe...i have the soft-shell jacket but from the site they seem to suggest you don't wear the jersey under a jacket, i am slightly dubious how warm and windproof this would be compared to the jacket. so how does it fit into my winter gear?
enigma esprit
cannondale caad8 tiagra 2012

Comments

• Do they still have the buy and try? I've got one but not the softshell so can't give you a comparison. I normally wear it with a long sleeve merino base layer. I have a Sportful softshell jacket and the Rapha is not as warm (as you'd expect) the main body is very wind proof but I notice it's cooler in the arms.
  • Yes - I'd agree with that: it's warm but not jacket warm - a step between L/S Jersey and a jacket. It's the sort of thing that you might add a hardshell type jacket on top of if it rains or you're doing a long descent. For me, I'd be wearing it somewhere between 5C and 10C (I run quite warm and so these numbers aren't necessarily very helpful)
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • It's warm. Nice jacket. Cut well. The front is windproof. It's quite old school in that it's quite heavy. But very nice to wear. The arms aren't as windproof.

It's a good price, but, and this has the bonus of annoying MRS :D, have a look at the Castelli Alpha Jersey from Evans!
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    I wouldn't wear a hard shell over mine.
    I find it warm enough for most dry winter days (with a good base layer underneath). It's heavier and warmer than the pro jacket. I wear mine quite a lot, I just take the waterproof jacket rolled into my back pocket for when needed.
    I find it a top piece of kit and a damn good deal at that price.
  • ctc
    ctc Posts: 232
    I've been wearing mine a lot. Down to freezing with a lifa ice base layer, hat and buff. I will stick on a windproof around zero if I'm going down hill. Cut very nice, very comfy and not too bad in short showers. In fact I've just ordered another in the sale as I'm using it so much I want a backup when the first is being washed
  • snipsnap
    snipsnap Posts: 259
    Very tempted also considering the current sale price, but my initial choice was the brevet with gilet due to the versatility of it. Unfortunately none left of those now.

Re winter jersey, when would it get used when the softshell seemingly covers all bases? Serious question.........

It does look so nice though.
  • It's a good price, but, and this has the bonus of annoying MRS :D, have a look at the Castelli Alpha Jersey from Evans!

La la la la - not listening! :wink::D

The Castelli doesn't come in Dutch colours :wink:
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    It's a good price, but, and this has the bonus of annoying MRS :D, have a look at the Castelli Alpha Jersey from Evans!

La la la la - not listening! :wink::D

The Castelli doesn't come in Dutch colours :wink:

Haha, to be fair the Gabba would look great in "Dutch orange"
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Wore my winter jersey today with the Rapha winter baselayer (the roll-neck thing) - it was around 1-3C and pretty windy. It was about right until I got a puncture - I never really warmed up after that despite putting on my Assos ClimaSchutz as soon as I stopped for repairs. I tend to run hot too.
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    Problem with running hot is that you tend to build up a bit of a sweat. Which is fine until you stop outside for any length of time in winter months - not easy to get warm once the cold takes a bite at you, no matter what you're wearing! (Unfortunately this has been my experience!).

Peter
  • meanredspider
    I wasn't too bad - that combination of tops (jersey and baselayer) seems to breath reasonably well and I wasn't very warm (fingers froze when I took my gloves off to fix the flat. I did get a bit sweaty once I'd warmed up again with the hardshell on top but not so got that I wanted to take it off.
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    I run hot too and usually work up quite a sweat, what I've been wearing under a normal base layer is the Castelli mesh base they work really well at keeping your skin dry, and good for the summer months too when worn on there own.

http://www.castelli-cycling.com/Product ... 451303014P
  • MBCaad8
    MBCaad8 Posts: 127
    snipsnap wrote:
    Very tempted also considering the current sale price, but my initial choice was the brevet with gilet due to the versatility of it. Unfortunately none left of those now.

Re winter jersey, when would it get used when the softshell seemingly covers all bases? Serious question.........

Have you tried Condor Cycles for a brevet - they stock Rapha and may still have one - I like mine a lot for what it's worth....
  • MBCaad8 wrote:
    snipsnap wrote:

Have you tried Condor Cycles for a brevet - they stock Rapha and may still have one - I like mine a lot for what it's worth....

Do you know how the brevet would compare with the pro team jacket and/or the winter jersey?

I've got the pro team jacket and it's a fantastic but if kit, but I run hot an so I don't use it too often unfortunately.

Plus I'd prefer a different colour (mine is black) so I'm considering either the winter jersey or brevet as an alternative if that makes sense (possibly not)
  • northpole
    I have last year's pro team jacket, long sleeve brevet and the winter jersey.

Not sure exactly why, but I don't like the winter jersey. May be slightly large sizing but it doesn't work for me. The pro team jacket I've only worn a few times. It is quite like the soft shell but I've found it a bit hot on the days I wore it plus, I didn't feel like my body was breathing adequately - verging on boil in the bag. I have a soft spot for the brevet, provided there is no rain! In the dry, the brevet gets my vote, providing warmth and allowing my body to get some air around it. If it's going to be slightly wet I'd either need to carry a wind or rain jacket in the back pocket or leave it home and wear something else. In the dry, I switch between wearing and carrying the gillet in the back pocket, depending on temperature - works really well for me. If you need a single jacket to cover all bases, the pro jacket may provide the better compromise.

Peter
  • snipsnap
    snipsnap Posts: 259
    Thanks for the info Peter.
    Just located a brevet jersey and will be picking one up tomorrow. I'm not sure how much use the winter jersey would have seen, which your view here confirmed to me. Cheers
  • northpole wrote:

Not sure exactly why, but I don't like the winter jersey. May be slightly large sizing but it doesn't work for me. The pro team jacket I've only worn a few times. It is quite like the soft shell but I've found it a bit hot on the days I wore it plus, I didn't feel like my body was breathing adequately - verging on boil in the bag. I have a soft spot for the brevet, provided there is no rain! In the dry, the brevet gets my vote, providing warmth and allowing my body to get some air around it. If it's going to be slightly wet I'd either need to carry a wind or rain jacket in the back pocket or leave it home and wear something else. In the dry, I switch between wearing and carrying the gillet in the back pocket, depending on temperature - works really well for me. If you need a single jacket to cover all bases, the pro jacket may provide the better compromise.

Peter

Hi,

I was wondering if there was any difference in warmth from the regular long sleeve Jersey and the Brevet?
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    northpole wrote:

Peter

Hi,

I was wondering if there was any difference in warmth from the regular long sleeve Jersey and the Brevet?
    No there isn't. They are both a similar weight of fabric
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • northpole wrote:

Peter

Hi,

Shame. I've been wearing my LS jersey with the softshell gilet. Or SS with arm warmers and softshell gilet. Often after an hour on the bike I have to reach for my windproof as my arms get cold even though my core is warm. Then my back gets cold due to the amount im sweating. Perhaps the winter Jersey may be for me instead?
  • northpole wrote:

Peter

Hi,

I think the jersey is nearly a 50/50 merino mix while the Brevet has a higher synthetic count due to the windproofing.
  • meanredspider
    The jersey is just over 50% merino (mine's drying in front of me).

Wore mine with the pro vest thing yesterday in 7C and that was about right
  • northpole
    northpole wrote:

Peter

Hi,

Quite possibly my most useless of posts - I seem to have put my winter jersey somewhere very safe and can't make a side by side comparison. Relying on my memory for such specifics would be unfair/ unreliable!!

Somewhat off topic - I was out this morning for a shortish ride wearing the Castelli Alpha jacket, one short sleeve and one long sleeve merino base layers and felt spot on - temperature was hovering around zero without much of a breeze. Given how light this jacket is, there seems to be clever technology in the fabrics used.

Peter
  • paulmon
    paulmon Posts: 315
    I have the Winter Jersey and its my goto jersey for dry single figure rides. I either wear it with a summer base layer or a winter base layer when it gets cooler. There is plenty of pocket space and the two zips in the front are superb if you get a bit warm. They come up large so I'd recommend going down a size.
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    PaulMon wrote:
    I have the Winter Jersey and its my goto jersey for dry single figure rides. I either wear it with a summer base layer or a winter base layer when it gets cooler. There is plenty of pocket space and the two zips in the front are superb if you get a bit warm. They come up large so I'd recommend going down a size.
    Maybe they've changed the latest ones, mine's medium , as are all my Rapha clothes and its very fitted.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • paulmon
    PaulMon wrote:
    Maybe they've changed the latest ones, mine's medium , as are all my Rapha clothes and its very fitted.

True. The one I have is last season's so this might be the case.
  • Sorry to resurrect an almost dead thread but can anyone tell me if the winter jersey is more breathable than the pro team jacket? I assumed it was
  • northpole
    Sorry to resurrect an almost dead thread but can anyone tell me if the winter jersey is more breathable than the pro team jacket? I assumed it was

Yes it is - conversely, not so handy if it rains. Depending on how cold it is of course, sometimes you don't want your jersey too breathable - compromises to be made at every junction in life!

Peter
  • paulmon
    Sorry to resurrect an almost dead thread but can anyone tell me if the winter jersey is more breathable than the pro team jacket? I assumed it was

It is very breathable but you will need your rain jacket in your back pocket. The pro team jacket isn't waterproof though so if its really bouncing it down you would need a waterproof of some description. When I bought mine I ordered the pro team jacket as well to try them both and it came down to the fit of the winter jersey being better for me. The jacket felt too loose and baggy on the arms.
  • Cheers for the replies. I have the pro team jacket and I was wondering if the winter jersey would be better for me as I run hot and dont get to use it much unless it's really cold...I think the jersey would get more use.

Should arrive in the post soon :)
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    I much prefer the pro team jacket because the arms and chest are windproof.