20 stone user on a strict budget impossible task? :(

chris2gd
chris2gd Posts: 3
edited January 2015 in MTB buying advice
Hey guys new here literally pulled all my hair out with the stress trying to find a suitable answer to this question so maybe there is none anyway...

Basically a few months back i lost my job and since then been a lurch and found myself up to 21stone! and really have to do something about it over the past few weeks i have lost a stone just on a stationary exercise bike and i do indeed feel good but now i want to be out and about also during exercise.

However this is where problem 2 comes in finding a bike to fit 20 stone but also less then £150 yes thats my budget.. i'm not to bothered about comfort of ride it will literally be an hour cycle around the park every morning at 9am until im lighter enough and to saved up enough for a decent bike so roughly a 5-6 month bike!

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/rockrider-300-mountain-bike-id_8284495.html#anchor_ComponentProductTechnicalInformation

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/mountain-bikes/apollo-feud-mens-mountain-bike

Thats 2 ideas of bikes and i have read some 1 who is 24 stone has been riding it everyday etc but im still worried with what money i do have i don't want to waste it or is the truth i need to sit in doors for a few months more? any tips would be great.

Comments

• Top one will be just the job.
  • I had a Carerra Subway Ltd at more than your weight and it was faultless until I got fitter and started using trail centres on it. Plenty available nearly new in your budget and much better than the Apollo you listed.
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    As above avoid the Apollo, the rockrider is far better. Have you considered second hand? Might just be able to get something such as a Voodoo Hoodoo barely used around that price if you're lucky.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The Apollo avoid, the Rockrider will do what you are asking of it, however as a mentioned, a good used bike would be even better, at this time of year there are some great bargains to be picked up on eBay, for example local to me a classic Specialized Rockhopper (steel frame and rigid forks) just went for £50 in immaculately condition.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • thanks for the answers guys i will do a week long search on eBay and keep my eye on listings if no good second hand close ill just go with the rock thanks! :)
  • mobilekat
    mobilekat Posts: 245
    Would def look second hand. Also check out Facebook. Many local cycling buy sell groups- just picked up some bargain kids bikes for £25 each for visiting kids to use over Christmas.
    Just use common sense to check for 'nicked ones'...
    Wheeze..... Gasp..... Ruddy hills.......