First time on Clipless pedals

stoveman
stoveman Posts: 125
edited January 2015 in Road beginners
Finally got sorted and got some clip less pedals and shoes.First time out today and was well pleased.
Still need practice clipping back in at roundabouts etc but happy with first time out.One issue resulted in an off when a car deliberately closed the gap between the stationary cars and kerb at the lights,and I couldn't unclip in time.
So educated him into leaving a suitable gap for cycles next time.

Also been ticking over with 15 - 20 mile rides and a lot of time in the gym too,but today took the oppertunity to push to a 30 mile trip as a pre cursor to upping the training in the new year.
Had the son in law with me on an MTB so average speed a little less than I hoped.

Just started dealing with strava too so guess I am now on that slippery slope of cycle obsession.

All in all feeling pretty good about how the day went.

Comments

• gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,518
    Good work, keep it up. Clipping in and out will become second nature but do be prepared for the odd tumble!
  • mlgt
    mlgt Posts: 366
    Everyones gone through the same thing. Keep at it and dont give up! Riding without clipless now feels really wrong now :(
    N2 - SW1

Canyon Endurace 9.0
  • I agree with the above- for the first 2 or 3 rides the clipless pedals felt a bit alien but I very quickly got into the instinctive habit of lowering my right pedal and twisting so I can lift off at any time when approaching junctions, slow traffic etc but can still instantly clip back in if I push down- I even twist my foot out sometimes when I'm riding on a bike with flat pedals!

After a while you won't want to go back to platform pedals- clipless means your foot will never slip off if you give it some welly or accidentally get into the wrong gear and spin like mad, and they help with bike control- more than once I've nearly been thrown off a bike after hitting a surprise bump, but with clipless the bike comes with me and continues with no drama.
    Oh, and you can put so much more power through the pedals and work more efficiently using them. Stick with them, they are more than worth the practice!
  • Beware.......... For your first few rides with clipless pedals you are very conscious that you are using clipless. But I guarantee you will end up doing a pratt fall when you are getting used to them and forget to unclip.
    On my mountain bike back in the day I remember riding up to a group of friends, saying hello etc. Stopping and then realising DOH! I'm clipped in and gracefully toppling sideways..........
    Got some stick that day but deserved.
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    Just remember to unclip one foot while you still coasting upto a roundabout or junction a few metres away. You need some momentum to safely play around with the pedals. If you leave it too late to unclip a foot, as soon as the bike has 0 speed and starts falling over theres no stopping it.
    When setting off from a roundabout or a traffic light I still keep one foot clipped in, I'll try to "fully" clip the other foot in after 2 or 3 revolutions of the cranks, its possible to still use the pedal not clipped in or even a upside-down pedal until I've got some momentum.
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • stoveman
    stoveman Posts: 125
    Thanks for all the tips folks,as always I guess it's practise makes perfect.
    Looking forward to getting out again in the next few days.