Fuji, Scott or Trek?

flere210
flere210 Posts: 10
edited December 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi, so I'm buying my first road bike soon and I'm completely stuck for choice between 3 bikes:

The Trek Madone 2.1 H2 Compact 2014; The Scott Speedster 20 Compact 2014 and The Fuji Roubaix 1.3 2015.

All are around £800 on Evans cycles (which is about as much as I'm willing to spend) and the bike will be used mostly, at least during the winter months, for commuting (on the ever so bumpy roads of Scotland). Although when the warmer months come I'll be using it most days for long rides. I'm not interested at the moment in racing, but I want a bike that will push my limits on long rides.

I'm also wondering if there's more sense in spending just a little bit more to get a bike that is immensely better, or just sticking with one of these as my first road bike (I was considering the Boardman Team Carbon bike but waiting for it to go down in price). Any advice here would be appreciated, since where road bikes are concerned, I'm a total beginner.

Cheers.

Comments

• I've had 2 Trek 2.1's and have nearly done 10k miles on my latest one in 2 years. its been bomb proof and i've had 3 spills on it now (not the bikes fault) and it still wont break. i still have the original wheels too as winter workhorses. i've not tried the others to comment but the trek is great IMO.
    Cube Cross 2016
    Willier GTR 2014
  • 6wheels
    6wheels Posts: 411
    edited December 2014
    If you're not already, it's worth joining the BCF for 10% discount with Halfords. They have an occasional 10% discount on bikes, which when added together, would then put it (Boardman) very close to your budget.
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    Best to test ride any bike you're interested in. You may find that some feel much better than others to you rather than relying on another riders experience. There are very few poor quality bikes out there these days but of course some are slightly better values than others. If you factor in sales and what not price differences become almost a non-issue.
  • I know for certain that the Trek 2.1 will be a nice bike to ride, and possibly have the better spec of the ones you've listed.
    However, if you're going to be riding over horrible roads most of the time then it might be worth looking at a cyclocross bike or similar which can take massive tyres and maybe even disks which will help save the rims in grotty conditions. Just swapping out the stock tyres for slightly narrower and slick road tyres will let most 'cross bikes roll almost as well as a true road bike but with the clearance to take big volume tyres and mudguards..
  • w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    http://www.rutlandcycling.com/102528/pr ... oCEaHw_wcB
    If they have stock in your size that's a good deal. I have both the Madone and Domane, Madone is a bit racier with the Domane built for comfort.
    If your rides are going to be a mix of road and off road, then as per the above, a cross bike may be the way to go. I have the 2014 genesis CDF, it's a solid workhorse that's also fun when going off road.
    http://www.epic-cycles.co.uk/Genesis_Croix_de_Fer.html