kinioo
kinioo Posts: 776
edited December 2014 in MTB buying advice
Morning All,

Have come across with this one: Specialized FSR XC PRO 2009

Know nothing about it ?

Any good ?

Is it worth getting a 2009 FS bike ??

How much is OK to pay for 2nd hand '09 bike ???

Still not sure about FS, but Giant Anthem X2 @ Pauls looks so good...however as its £900 (I know its brand new etc.) but still looking for any other options, hence my question re: Specialized FSR XC PRO 2009

Many thanks

Chris

BTW its this one: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171587791561? ... EBIDX%3AIT

Also:
What bikes / models should I look at as a second hand FS for up to £600 ???

Comments

• Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    It doesn't look too bad but the spec doesn't match what's in the photos, the brakes aren't XT like listed, possibly Acera or Alivio, which is a fair few models lower and the shifter isn't XT as stated either, it's Deore which again is 2 models lower.

The biggest issue is likely to be the bearings for the rear suspension, you'll have no idea what condition they are in and although the bearings themselves won't be expensive, it's not an easy job and may be a fair amount in labour if you don't want to do them yourself. I'd factor in the cost for replacing them and push down the price accordingly.
  • kinioo
    Cheers Antm81. Good point re: spec...didn't notice this !

Yes, I know its a '09 second hand bike so might need some TLC...so wasn't sure if its still worth the money ??

Also, know nothing about this model ??
  • oxocube1
    oxocube1 Posts: 651
    I had the 2010 model of this bike as my first full suss and loved it (red link in my sig). It was light and it handled everything i threw at it, including XC trails, Trail centres and a few DH tracks. I started off with the stock 120mm Rebas then switched them out to a set of 140 FOX RL and it rode just as well. So in term's of the bike itself, I would highly recommend it, but as already stated just double check the actual spec as it appears different from the photos.

Here's the original spec for the bike if you're interested: 2009 FSRxc
  • kinioo
    oxocube1 wrote:
    I had the 2010 model of this bike as my first full suss and loved it (red link in my sig). It was light and it handled everything i threw at it, including XC trails, Trail centres and a few DH tracks. I started off with the stock 120mm Rebas then switched them out to a set of 140 FOX RL and it rode just as well. So in term's of the bike itself, I would highly recommend it, but as already stated just double check the actual spec as it appears different from the photos.

Here's the original spec for the bike if you're interested: 2009 FSRxc

Many thanks Oxocube1 - very helpful !!
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    The description mentions scratches from wildlife. What the hell has he be up to on that bike? Raping badgers?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Maybe the wife got mad at the bike being in the house!

The bike was a good bike and if it's in reasonable nick would make a good ride.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.