Re-place or fix?

Ferrals
Ferrals Posts: 785
edited December 2014 in MTB buying advice
My wife currently uses my old '97 spesh fsr, but it's getting knackered. The forks need replacing as does the groupset, the rear shock is pretty wrecked too but I'm less concerned about that given the use won't be too extreme. We've got a budget of £500. I was initially planning on just looking for a new bike, but I'm starting to wonder about keeping the frame and getting a new groupset (massive discounts on crc) and a new/second hand fork ... If I can find one for 26in wheels with 80 mm travel and v-brake mounts!

Any thoughts?

I'm right in thinking a 10speed cassete would fit on a 8speed free hub yes?

Comments

• kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Better value for £500 would be a much newer second hand bike. If you look around many are on sale in great condition at around half their retail price. Even a new bike would have better brakes etc. at that price range. That is unless you fancy a project.
  • Ferrals
    I've just quickly looked it up, because of discounts I could get xt groupset for £150, new v-brakes for £35, a rock shox xc coil fork for £65, leaving me a bit of money for extras and a new rear shock. I'm tempted by doing it, will have to give the frame a good look over, but I think she wants something new.
    I'm also tempted to see about what discounts I can find on one of the saracen mantras as the relaxed head angle would be a real benefit I think.
    I'm not sure second hand will be a goer unless it is from a shop.
  • Ferrals
    Nah the wife didn't buy it. Gutted, I fancied doing a build :-(
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    if the wife wants a newer bike I would take her to a good local bike shop for a look and test rides. That's what I did, spent a bit more than planned but she loves the bike and rides it all the time once the trails dry out. No point having a bike she won't ride.
  • Ferrals
    No I wholeheartedly agree, I would like to spend a lot more than she wants too - I'd like her to get a reasonably light hardtail with 2 by 10 drivetrain, shimano disk brakes and an ok fork but she's got it set in her head that as she's not the most proficient cyclist she should stick below £500. Might force her to try some more expensive ones anyway!