First mtb - On-One 456SS

saitrix
saitrix Posts: 12
edited December 2014 in Your mountain bikes
Well go easy on me here, this is my first mountain bike. Unfortunately I am usually one of those lycra clad road cyclists. :P I fortunately got donated majority of the parts from my uncle so all I had to do was order a stem and new cables plus build it all up to have a working bike.

So I did a bit of messing about on the bike around my local area, totally happy with the original build but then a few of my mates asked if I wanted to do the trails at Cannock, of course I snapped up the chance (even with having no clue what it entailed!). Well originally it was built with a Suntour XCM 100mm fork and Tekro mechanical brakes, from going down Cannock I soon realised they were not up to the job. My uncle once more donated a Manitou Drake which instantly felt amazing compared (I only weigh 62kg so I am guessing the Suntour was massively overdamped for me). I was getting lots of brake dragging issues with the Tekros so looking on the net the Deores seem to always be recommended so decided to not mess about and get them! Unfortunately not got to properly test them out yet as then the snow fell and has turned into ice.

For a future upgrade I have found out the Drake's damper can be upgraded to the later ABS+ damper which seems to be the done thing.

So hopefully I haven't made a too bad a bike to use on trails, I know it will never be the quickest but all I am looking for is a good bit of fun.

Frame: On-One 456 Summer Season
Fork: Manitou Drake 130mm
Front Derailleur: SLX Triple
Rear Derailleur: X4 8 speed
Shifters: X4 trigger
Chainset: Deore
Brakes: Deore M615 (180mm f+r)
Handlebars: El Guapo Ancho 760mm
Stem: Deda Zero1 80mm
Front Tyre: 2.3 Nobby Nic
Rear Tyre: 2.1 Rocket Ron
Saddle: On-One Bignose
Seatpost: USE Sumo XCR
Pedals: Wellgo V12

mtb2.png
Just before setting off at Cannock with my mates

mtb4.jpg
Me somewhere around Cannock (yes I have got new gloves now!)

mtb3.jpg
Just after finishing the blue trail at Hicks Lodge with the new fork

Comments

• paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Nice ride for little cash and giving I some stick straight off the bat. Nice! Welcome!
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Welcome to the fun side of cycling!

Nice first build, I think the Drake has a plain (fixed) compression damper, so yes an upgrade to an adjustable one is a good first step.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Excellent frame and in the best colour!
  • The Rookie, It currently has a damper which I can alter the damping but as you turn it up all it seems to do is increase the amount the fork platforms. Apparently by upgrading to the ABS+ it is tuned completely differently and will not do this, plus the shims can be changed for different weight people to alter the compression ramp.

oxoman, Thanks for the tips, that was with the old Tekro brakes, since fitting the Deore ones I have only been able to have a go up and down the road which shows no dragging whatsoever and much more power. I am using Hicks Lodge to learn how to take corners quicker as currently I am not that fast. Once I have practised a little more I am planning on popping over to Wales to give it a proper go over there.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Argh yes I can see the red knob now, base versions have a fixed damper, it doesn't affect platform (it hasn't got one) it just adjusts compression damping, they change it quite a lot (I've had Slivers with the same damper), usual reason for it not doing much is low oil level.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.