bike upgrade..need opinions

Peetz
Peetz Posts: 28
edited December 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hey there
I posted a while back about upgrading my sunn prim s2....I was initially thinking of upgrades but have decided to go for a new bike...budget would be £1000 ...here is the spec of my current HT :

� Frame: Prim AL 6061 TB
� Fork: Rockshox Recon Gold TK SA 100mm
� Brakes: Formula RX 160mm
� Shifters: Sram X7 9 speed
� Cassette: Sram PG 950 11/34
� Front derailleur: Sram X5
� Rear derailleur: Sram X9
� Chinaset: Truvativ Firex 3.2 22/32/44
� Tires: Hutchinson Python AL NG 2.00
� Wheels: UN Disk
� Handlebar: UN Origine 660-20 SL
� Stem: UN Origine SL
� Saddle: SDG I Fly RL CrMo
� Seatpost: UN Origine 350

So yeah I am looking for a fast, light xc bike .........has to be available in xs size and in an ideal world would be carbon but I am probably just under budget on a carbon hardtail unless I get really lucky :)
Let me hear your opinions guys....whats the best deals out there ? :)
And just to make it harder a task.......it will have to be via the cyclescheme thingybob :)

Did see what looks like an awesome deal from merlin cycles on a bmc full sus bike... xs in white with reba forks and monarch rear shock for 850 quid but .....im guessing it might be a bit heavier than the xc race bike they are stating it as ?????

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    There is no weight threshold for an XC race bike, they don't have to be under 25lbs to count or anything...

Dunno if Paul's Cycles do Cyclescheme but they'd be your best bet I suspect. I reckon you may struggle though! On One may worth a look too. You may get a Whippet. If you want a race bike though I'd probably go for a heavier 29er than a lighter 26" wheeled bike. You're not going to get anything markedly different from what you have, so not sure what you're hoping to achieve?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The money would be better spent on either a good carbon frame and reframing your bike with choice upgrades, or looking at improving your bike with better wheels, forks and selected other improvements.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.