Cassette - DA 9000 or Red?

JonEdwards
JonEdwards Posts: 452
edited December 2014 in Road buying advice
Just need to buy the last couple of bits for a new best bike build. One part of which is the cassette.

DA 9000 :- +ves - (a lot)cheaper, probably better shifting. -ves - heavier, seem to have a reputation for breaking

Sram XG1190 :- +ves- lighter (by 20g), less fragile. -ves - much spendier, possibly a clunkier shift.

I'm a 64kg weakling, so I'm not sure how big an issue the carbon spider on the DA one breaking is, but I'd hate to find out the hard way. I probably would never look at the SRAM one on a £/g basis, but add in the supposed reliability issues, and it starts to become more attractive. (although very happily running XX and XX1 on 2 of my mtbs)

I'll be after an 11-25 either which way.

(Can we keep it to one of these choices please - I've thought about the cheaper stuff, but want to go all out on this build)

Thanks!

Comments

• Match it all up.
    DA or Red all over.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    If you want to go 'all out', then buy the most expensive. If you want a decent, reliable cassette, buy Ultegra or Force.
  • Ultegra :D

(Unless you are going to attempt to brag about having DA cassette to your riding companions)

In fact, if you tell them your swanky DA/Red specced bike is all-in except the cassette, they'll probably have x2 respect for you. Most ppl know the Ultegras last x2 long, and perform just the same...
  • Ber Nard
    Ber Nard Posts: 827
    Match it all up.
    DA or Red all over.

+1
  • I'm a total weight weenie, BUT Ultegra every time.
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    OP asked to stick to one of two choices in which instance I'd go DA. Worth checking if there was a modification made to the cassette following the reported problems and, if there was a mod, to make sure you get the latest version.

Peter

PS Or get an Ultgra.....
  • I would choose the Red cassette due to the problems with the Dura Ace one. Not the kind of thing you want to break miles from home.
  • Mccaria
    Mccaria Posts: 869
    Red every time. Got fed up with the DA cassette (2 cassettes sounding awful in the bigger sprockets) and am in the process of shifting all my wheels over to Red. The Red cassette is a lovely product. I have it on bikes with 9000 and 9070 and absolutely no problems to date.

All my bikes are kitted out with Shimano, so I generally like their stuff. I just think the DA 9000 cassette is a poor product and in this particular case the Sram Red is a far better product.
  • northpole wrote:
    OP asked to stick to one of two choices

May as well go and throw £100+ away in the street
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    Red or ultegra. The DA cassette is a poor design with known issues. I run an ultegra cassette on DA on my R5 but would snap up a red one if I ever saw a good offer.
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    northpole wrote:
    OP asked to stick to one of two choices

May as well go and throw £100+ away in the street

Let he who hath not sinned cast the first stone.

Red all the way.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • Amazon had the XG-1190 for £113 a few months ago which I stupidly missed out on. £163 is a bit steep.