£500-£600 to spend

zntrx
zntrx Posts: 27
edited January 2015 in MTB buying advice
I've just had my road bike nicked & replaced on insurance and until we move house to somewhere safer (next few months) I'm storing the new bike at a friends place, hoping it's less likely to get nicked from there.

I currently have an old & battered specialized rockhopper that I'm looking to replace. This will mostly be used for commuting in the winter will do to odd trail etc. now and again.

Googling around it seems that the best bet in this price range is the Voodoo Bizango, but googling the bargains I came across a Merida Big 9 500 for similar price (510 vs 600 minus halfords discounts for the Bizango).

http://2014.merida-bikes.com/en_int/bikes/hardtails/29-xc-race-marathon/2014/big-nine-500-188.html

Best to stick with the Bizango or take a punt for the Merida which seems to have better spec for the most part?

Comments

• kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    If you are not confident going second hand the Bizango has consistently got 10/10 in reviews which suggests it is a very good deal for the money.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The Bizango has a stiffer fork and is more trail orientated of the two, that said for you use (which sounds relatively mild) the Merida may be the better bet, but branch out into trail centres and the Bizango would be better.

For commuting I'd be inclined to just fix up the 'hopper!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Does anyone have an opinion on what is best between the Boardman Comp and latest 650b Carrera Fury? Only 50 quid between them and both have a Raidon fork which seems to be good at this price point. Unlike the cheaper lower end Carreras the Fury seems to be encroaching on Boardman territory. With a 10% discount it seems like a steal.
    Both have cables running under the bottom tube though, which is a bafflingly stupid design given it gets plastered in mud. Almost enough to put me off.

Don't want a Bizango as its a 29er, just personal preference.
  • The Rookie
    I never ever had a problem with BB routed cables, so the cable gets covered in crud, but unless it goes into an outer it makes not one halpeth of difference, also it gives better shifting as the frame is a lot stiffer than any outer cable has ever been, and lighter as you only have 2 outer sections (one at each end) and the inner cable is slightly shorter, it's superior on anything but a much heavier duty use bike to a top tube routed cable in my mind.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thanks for the input Rookie.

I really need to check the geometry (esp top tube length) on the Fury, and the weight.
    Hoping it is lighter than the 13.6kg Boardman, as it has 2x rather than 3x transmission for starters. Although as I might use it on the road a bit as well I'm hoping the ratios are still OK for that. A hardcore hardtail (well nearly) for under £500 new with discounts does seem tempting.
  • The Rookie
    One chainring is only going to save 40g, so 2x is just a different solution to 3x, neither better not worse as such, whether it's is better depends on your usage.

Boardman weights are without pedals, so that 13.6 is about 14, not sure what the Fury weighs but the frame is about 200g heavier than the Boardman's, but the frame is only a small part of a bikes weight (an 18" Fury frame is about 2150g).
  • Thanks for the input Rookie.

I really need to check the geometry (esp top tube length) on the Fury, and the weight.
    Hoping it is lighter than the 13.6kg Boardman, as it has 2x rather than 3x transmission for starters. Although as I might use it on the road a bit as well I'm hoping the ratios are still OK for that. A hardcore hardtail (well nearly) for under £500 new with discounts does seem tempting.

I have the previous version of the Fury (2012 26") and it's a great bike.
    Weight wise it'll probably be about the same as the Boardman (2012 version approx. 13kg's).
  • I've literally just ordered a Cube Analog 2015 29er for pleasure biking and commuting and the specs on it we're much better than any other bike I could find for the price. Cycles UK have a 20% discount sale on at the moment so I only paid £439.