Tyre Fitting Advice

Stormtrooper Rog
Stormtrooper Rog Posts: 18
edited January 2015 in Road beginners
Hi, I got some Vittoria Open Pave CGIII's for Christmas, I have come to fit them, and one went on fine with no problem, the second just won't sit right on the rim. When inflated there is a 'bump' in it. It looks like it is sitting too low on the rim, I have taken it off and refitted several times, but can't seem to get rid of this. Can anyone offer any advice?
'In want to ride my bicycle,
I want to ride my bike.
I want to ride my bicycle,
I want to ride it where I like.'

Comments

• I'm assuming the 2 rims are the same? Same tubes?

It's not where the valve stem sits is it?

Any pics?
  • The inner tubes are different brands but the same size, it isn't where the valve sits, and it is only really noticeable when I spin the wheel. I can try to upload a video.
    I want to ride my bike.
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    How hard have you pumped it up? I take mine to 120psi to seat them, then reduce to around 80psi this time of year.

Edit: I'm using the same tyre, and have had the "lump" you describe hence the initial high pressure inflation to seat the bead.
  • Having trouble with video and pictures. Sorry.

I have only inflated to 100psi, how do you mean seat the bead? Do you run the wheel on the bike around the block or should it happen with the high inflation?
    I want to ride my bike.
  • rafletcher
    Usually seats with higher pressures. You'll hear it "pop" into place hopefully. I also go round the tyre when it's around 20-30psi and "pinch" the bead into the centre of the rim all round before the high pressure inflation.
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    Try pumping to about 140 psi and use some lubricant on the beads such as a little washing up liquid and water. Then reduce to your desired pressure once it's popped into place. You can also try bouncing the inflated tyre on the ground all the way round to help it seat. All techniques I've used with stiff motorcycle tyres.
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    Whenever I put on a tyre, when the tyre is on and before inflating it, I look right round each side pressing the tyre back to see the rim tape - if I do then I know the tube is fully inside the tyre and will inflate okay.

What does the bit of the tyre with the 'bump' look like when the tyre is on but no air in it - you should be able to see whether the inner tube is trapped under it, or whether there is a fault in the tyre.
  • dave35
    dave35 Posts: 1,124
    I've fitted a pair of these tyres and both had the bump you mention, but so did the last pair I had. Just get them seated on the rim properly and inflate to near max psi and leave them for a day and they should be o.k.
    Are the ones you got 700x25 or 700x27?
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    I had similar issues with a set of Fulcrum 7 wheels. Every time i fitted the tyre it would never sit right.

I convinced myself it was me or the tyre, took to the lbs and they had same issue. turns out it was the wheels.

Anyway, if this happens, when you fit the tyre, before you pump it up, use some soapy water and wet the inside of the rim and outside of the tyre. Then when you inflate it put it up to 110psi (you may hear a 'pop') and it will sit right. Then you can adjust the psi according to your needs.

Hope this helps
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    The rim tape might be too wide , happened to me once.
  • Many thanks for all the help, got them fitted. The hot soapy water did the trick, genius redvision.

Noticed the bead was sticking on the rim tape after Keezx mentioned it. Put the tyre on, dribbled some warm soapy water into the rim and bead, inflated up to 120 psi, perfect roll.

I hope these tyres are as punctures resistant as they claim, won't be carrying warm soapy water with me on a ride.
    I want to ride my bike.
  • rafletcher
    Many thanks for all the help, got them fitted. The hot soapy water did the trick, genius redvision.

Noticed the bead was sticking on the rim tape after Keezx mentioned it. Put the tyre on, dribbled some warm soapy water into the rim and bead, inflated up to 120 psi, perfect roll.

I hope these tyres are as punctures resistant as they claim, won't be carrying warm soapy water with me on a ride.

Once they've been on a few days they'll be easier to fit/remove.