Lights with USB Charger

dizarch
dizarch Posts: 152
edited January 2015 in Road buying advice
I'm looking for some decent lights front and back that can be charged from my PC.

I've tried two sets already but, like my Garmin, whenever they get wet, the connection seems to fail (permanently) and I'm left unilluminated.

Can anybody recommend from experience please?

Thanks
Getting older and wanting to go further

Strava: http://www.strava.com/athletes/4664961

Twitter: @miles505050

Comments

• DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    I use what I consider to be a decent pair of USB-chargeable lights:
    Philips SafeRide 80 front lamp- 4 x AA batteries, so can be run from a spare set if needed. Shaped beam, that allows me to see on my mostly unlit commute. Downside is shortish run time- can be as low as 90 minutes & it's quite a size on the 'bars.
    Moon Shield 60 rear. Downside-'the rubber socket cover will eventually detach. Nothing that a blob of bluetac can't solve. Used with a Smart on flash as backup.
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    What type of area are you riding in? Lit city roads, unlit country roads?

What is your budget?

My night rides are always on unlit country roads so I rely on an Exposure Toro front light which has been fantastic. Expensive though.
    As a back up front light i have the Lezyne Macro Drive. Under £50, 300 lumens and usb recharge. Hasn't had a massive amount of use, but still i would recommend.

I have the Exposure Flare as a rear light and up until recently also had a Blackburn Mars 4.0. The Mars has just packed up so i am replacing it with an Exposure Tracer, which is as powerful & bright as the Flare, but usb recharge.

All depends on your budget but IME if you can afford an Exposure light you won't be disappointed.

Hope this helps.
  • zak3737
    zak3737 Posts: 370
    I've been using the Lezyne Macro Drive too, new model now pushes out 400 Lumens, with quite a few 'modes', incl 2 Flashing modes.
    On Full Power, only 90mins life, but on slightly less, that extends dramatically, and in all honesty, in anything other than total darkness, the lower output is fine.
    On lit roads, or in traffic, the flashing modes are perfect.

In all honesty, the lamp is so bright, I've had cars pull over to wait 500yds ahead on country lanes, and particularly when 2 of us are riding with same light !

At £46, and USB Chargeable, and very neat & small, 'tis fantastic.
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    I use the Lenzyne Zecto Drive around the city.

PROS: Very small, lightweight but bright wide angle LED's that can't be failed to be seen. USB charging socket and charge indicator on the lights

CONS: However I would not use the front light on unlit roads. These are lights to be seen and not see. I have a problem with the rear light where the rubber flap that covers the USB socket pushes against the electrical power lead causing it to stop charging. I've fixed this by pulling the rubber seal over the entire front of the light.

IMG_0191-2_zpsf15a1d3e.jpg
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • dizarch
    dizarch Posts: 152
    I'd love to get the Exposure lights but can't justify that kind of expenditure sadly.

My LBS stocks a good range of Lezyne so I think I'll go for them even if the name could be pronounced "Less seen"!!

Thanks everybody for your suggestions/advice.
    Getting older and wanting to go further

Strava: http://www.strava.com/athletes/4664961

Twitter: @miles505050
  • redvision wrote:
    What type of area are you riding in? Lit city roads, unlit country roads?
    I have the Exposure Flare as a rear light and up until recently also had a Blackburn Mars 4.0. The Mars has just packed up so i am replacing it with an Exposure Tracer, which is as powerful & bright as the Flare, but usb recharge.

All depends on your budget but IME if you can afford an Exposure light you won't be disappointed.

Make sure you get the latest model of the TraceR. I've had water ingress drown two TraceRs, despite following Exposur's advice to smear the inside of the port cover with vaseline. The latest replacement has a different (and improved) rubber ring detail covering the USB charging slot. It's much improved, with a T-shaped tab on the ring.
  • ademort
    ademort Posts: 1,924
    I have this http://www.mtb-led.com/a-37773846/mtb-l ... opvallend/

It,s visible from 1.5Kms away and far better than the Blackburn Mars 4 that i had. It,s an excellent rear light for those roads where there is no or little lighting However i will say this light is definitely NOT suitable for GROUP riding. It,s far too bright and blinding.
    ademort
    Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    i have the moon (rear) and Cateye nano shot (front) combo - both excellent lights ... I recal someone put a link up to a Moon clone @ merlin , it was a bargain
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • zak3737
    zak3737 Posts: 370
    3 of us put last night. 2 with Lezyne Macros' @ 400L, and friend also with 400l light,......unlit country roads,.....and despite 'dimming' them when cars ahead, most cars stopped wayyyy ahead to await our passing !
    We must have looked like a fleet of trucks ! lol

400L is easily enough for unlit roads, on full power, perhaps even less than full, so good for a couple of hour rides.
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    The Moon Comet is a good choice for the rear - very bright and very visible
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • Knog blinder (http://goo.gl/BwJIvW rear, http://goo.gl/u4R3XH front). Both charge via usb.
    I've been using them for a while in Manchester and they work great, so water is not an issue.
  • Try Electron Milli, the rear ones (I use 2, one static and one flashing) are highly visible - front light is better as a 2nd light. Not expensive and take about 2 hours to charge, and have a low charge warning light. I typically charge in work once per week and that does me for the weekly commute.
  • dave35
    dave35 Posts: 1,124
    I'm trying to decide between 3 front lights now, cateye nanoshot,cateye nanoshot plus or lezyne mini drive Cl-any opinions on these? Only to be used for a 11 mile each way commute,so only needed one way each day.