Focus Mares AX 3.0 Disc or another?

nibby
nibby Posts: 246
edited December 2014 in Road buying advice
Looking at treating myself :) and thinking of a bike that will tick the following boxes

winter riding, needs to have good brakes for steep downs around places like the lakes etc

allow me to dip my toes into CX racing

give me more option to explore during winter/summer months

allowed me to commute

Budget 1k or less

My current winter bike is a Ribble 7005 Winter bike which is fine but recently been riding in the Lakes/Wales etc and have found it a bit restricted when coming down stuff like Wyrnose and Hardknott passes etc. Which is why I started thinking about disc brakes for this sort of stuff.

After some research the Focus Mares AX 3 Disc seems to be ticking all the boxes.

Any thoughts/opinions very welcome

Cheers

Comments

• There was a post a couple of days back : C'dale CAADX 105 2015 for £850 - bargain....
    All the gear, but no idea...
  • Giant TCX SLR 2 is another option in your price bracket
    left the forum March 2023
  • curto80
    curto80 Posts: 314
    Rose Xlite Team 3100 Di2
    Kinesis Tripster ATR
    Orro Oxygen
  • nibby
    Thanks for replies, going to Wheelbase tomorrow who have the Mares and Cannondale in stock so will try for size and do a few laps around the car park whatever good that will do :)

Favouring the Focus at the moment, like the internal cables and better suited tyres but the Cannondale has full 105 -

anyone with any experience with riding the Focus and Cannondale's?

cheers
  • You might find something in the Evans sale, for instance most of the Pinnacle Arkose 2015 range (including the ones with TRP Hylex fully hydraulic brake systems) are on offer.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • nibby wrote:
    Favouring the Focus at the moment, like the internal cables and better suited tyres but the Cannondale has full 105 -

Internal cables are bollox... they're just there to make things look neat and pretty, but they are a savage PITA when it comes to replace the cables, which you might have to do more often than you think if you use your bike for cyclocross
  • nibby
    Just been thinking of the same thing re the internal cables.

Further research has found that the Focus doesn't have the option for front mudguards but looks like the CAADX does, tyres easy to change over.

Pity I can only ride it around the car park as I can see me taking it on some off road adventures, especially this time of year.
  • nibby
    There was a post a couple of days back : C'dale CAADX 105 2015 for £850 - bargain....

Cant find that post, anyone know where the CAADX 105 is for £850??
  • nibby wrote:
    Thanks for replies, going to Wheelbase tomorrow who have the Mares and Cannondale in stock so will try for size and do a few laps around the car park whatever good that will do :)

anyone with any experience with riding the Focus and Cannondale's?

cheers

It's a nice bike to ride, but I only have my road / mtb to compare with. Full 11spd 105 (FSA BB30 crank) at that price....

Just need to search back to find it :wink:
    All the gear, but no idea...
  • nibby
    Thanks, the CAADX sounds like a good buy, especially for £850 - was it the 2015 model?? - but I still cant find it :? arrrgghhhh...obi one help :D
  • nibby wrote:

Internal cables are bollox... they're just there to make things look neat and pretty, but they are a savage PITA when it comes to replace the cables, which you might have to do more often than you think if you use your bike for cyclocross

Depends what type mind. On my Condor the rear brake is internal and a piece of piss. I assume that, internally, it's basically just a welded in tube or something.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • Spanner in the works and slightly off budget, but in my opinion a better bike altogether... one that will not return to the manufacturer with some crack/creak/assembly issue but will just give you endless hours of fun

http://www.tritoncycles.co.uk/road-bike ... tAodzmQAqQ
  • nibby
    Nice one, looks good but I'm on an already increased budget with 1k - I think it could well replace the Ribble as my daily winter do it all and going to give cc racing and if all goes well might be riding it tomorrow :) they have the CAADX in stock in my size :)

but if I could tell them I've seen it for £850 ;)