Road bike for wifey advice pls.....

zak3737
zak3737 Posts: 370
edited December 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi Chaps,
Well, it was inevitable I guess, .......since I started riding this summer, with a group that some of the wives go out Sun mornings too, that my wife has now declared that she wants a bike too, so the search begins.
She knows she isnt gonna be with us immediately, as in all honesty, she hasnt ridden a bike in years, (or done anything 'sporty' at all tbh), but Rome wasnt built in a day, and as she could do with getting in shape, (her words not mine), I need to go along with it and encourage etc.

So - the search for a bike starts.
I know a Hybrid would be a good start, comfier etc, but then, IF she does get into it, it aint gonna keep up with us perhaps longterm.
So what does everyone think ? Or anyone know of really good deals ?

The Boardman Fi is £499, and gets great reviews, and would suit, - but the lead-in Giant Avail, also £499, has the additional Brake levers on the tops too, which I know would perhaps make her feel safer than normal levers only.
Plus - I guess using a store, gets the sizing right from the go, but £499 is still more than ideal tbh.

Or - do I try and bag a good 2nd hand deal on Gumtree/Ebay etc ?

Thoughts ?

Thx

Comments

• kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    I would go to a good bike shop with a good range and see what she prefers. Not much point having a great spec bike at a great price that she doesn't ride !

The important thing is to get a bike that she likes the look of , how it rides and that it fits her well. Also most road bikes under £1,000 come with really poor brakes so I would factor in getting some 105's or long drop r650's so she is confident of stopping when riding. The other thing is getting the normal cycling clothing to keep her warm and dry this time of year. Luckily womens cycling clothing can normally be found half price and under in the sales most of the year.

Good luck :)
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    I built up a Planet X pro carbon for a friend last year - the seriously nice Guru blue job.

She's tiny, so small frame, 38mm bars, loads of stem adjustment. All ordered through PX's customisation tab on the website.

In the end she couldn't get on with the road bars so we dropped in some Easton carbon flats and changed the Rival shifters for some SRAM triggers - works perfectly.

Rival shifters can now be retro fitted or sold on to offset costs. Win win situation.

Whole bike came in under a grand, weighs nothing, looks lovely. Next summer dump PX wheels and fit something nice and light.

Perhaps an option considering PX are doing deals at the mo?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • My wife got herself a Cannondale CADD 8 in the summer and loves it, she paid £550 but there on sale now at Evans for £450, It ticks all the boxes for her, she came from a BTwin original 5 'Shopping Bike'
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    my wife is up to 4 bikes now ...

Nothing really to suggest on spec - other than 1) it needs to fit her and 2) factor in replacing the saddle if you get a blokes bike.
    I would suggest a drop bar bike if she's going to want to ride with a road group - but avoid fitting granny brake levers as it's too easy for them to sit up on the tops and never quite get used to being on the hoods.
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Keep an eye on the classifieds section on this site.

2015 Allez Sport on offer currently for £550ono. Smallish size (52) so might be suitable

viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13007506
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Kajjal wrote:
    I would go to a good bike shop with a good range and see what she prefers. Not much point having a great spec bike at a great price that she doesn't ride !

^^ This.
  • zak3737
    Thx all, points taken.
    I've managed to negotiate a good deal on a superb Spesh Dolce that was on Ebay, but now withdrawn after we agreed terms.
    Bloody lovely condition, in a colour sceme that she loves, right size according to Spesh stats, so all good I think, and a steal at £350.
    Yes I know what 'some' on here think of Spesh, but I'm factoring in the possibility that IF she doesnt get on with it all, and at least I'll have a bike that I can no doubt recover much of, if not all of, the funds if need be !

Interesting point re Granny Levers - I had thought she might like them, but can see why they might not be a good idea long term.

Here's the steed to be collected soon.....

$_57.JPG
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    'I' quite like the Dolce's if you go down the entry level female specific route actually (tongue out smiley) :wink:
    They tend to look quite nice (female looking, but without being too patronisingly girly) and cover most bases for a females first road bike.

The mens ones do exactly the same for guys I guess. The big difference though is that women do not tend to have an odd/unjustified brand preference, or call them 'Spesh', or become an instant expert saying that they are really good bikes etc. etc.

Specialized do a really cute junior Allez (shame no carbon fork but hey, its a Spesh) which some 'Special' dad will love getting his son/daughter into road biking with.
    Their fat bikes are nice too.

Glad you got drop bars for her, but never ever do the supplementary brake lever thing, as has been said.
    They are cr4p and she will be much better off without them.
    Clip in shoes/pedals next then?

Hope the mrs loves it and will progress to something even sexier/lighter, probably a compact double, and maybe even (dare I say) not a Spesh :shock:
    But if it really has to be another..........enjoy riding that too :wink:

Hope she blows your expectations out of the water and thrashes you and your mates.

Maybe consider a unisex/male/non female specific bike next time.

All the best for the new year. Enjoy your riding, and stay safe.
  • zak3737
    Yup, its a start, and I did compare quite a few options, including used Giant Avails, Boardmans etc etc.....but I wasnt going to get much decent for less than £300, so decided the Dolce at £350 was the best bet, & it was in the best condition, and in a colour she likes, ....perhaps not important in the grand scheme of things, but you know women.......

Clip-in pedals......No.......they wont be staying on, she wants flats for now, and perhaps best till she gets some experience.

As far as 'thrashing us' .......well......lets just say that for now, its a bonus to get her doing something mildly energetic..... and I can see me bimbling along on rides with her for a while till she's anywhere close to speed to come out with the group, but hey ho, has to start somewhere.

:-)
  • Zak3737 wrote:
    Yup, its a start, and I did compare quite a few options, including used Giant Avails, Boardmans etc etc.....but I wasnt going to get much decent for less than £300, so decided the Dolce at £350 was the best bet, & it was in the best condition, and in a colour she likes, ....perhaps not important in the grand scheme of things, but you know women.......

Silly as it sounds, colour is perhaps one of the most important bits. If you end up with an ugly bike/kit, she's not going to enjoy riding. I dare say that's much more important than if it has Sora or Tiagra, or whether 1800g wheels are much better than 2000g wheels.