Which Road wheelset Upgrade?

Bikespeed
Bikespeed Posts: 13
edited December 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi All
Looking to upgrade my road wheels, im currently running Mavic Ksyrium Elites.
Think ive got my choice down to two.
Campagnolo Shamal ultra mega G3 clincher set, or Shimano Dura Ace C24 set.
Both around the same price, although price is not so improtant. Im more interested inperformance and reliability.
I dont race, just club rides up to around 70 miles that can get very competative.
Im around 85kg
Any opinions?

Comments

• Bikespeed wrote:
    I dont race, just club rides up to around 70 miles that can get very competitive.

hUH?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    You would notice no difference whatsoever by changing from Ksyrium Elites to those you've mentioned. Except the DAs aren't as stiff.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Bikespeed wrote:
    I dont race, just club rides up to around 70 miles that can get very competitive.

hUH?

Village sign sprints
  • Buy the oldest banger going. Hang off the back. Sprint at finish. Instant kudos.

I think you need to find a new club tbh.
  • My first wheel upgradecwas Kysrium Elite. Much better than my old wheels.

My next upgrade was Vision Metron 40's. Even better.

How much better? Not much. But the more you spend the bigger the difference you will feel!
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    I would also find a new club as club runs are normally social affairs for non racers. People who race train solo mostly or with a couple of other like minded riders in a more structured way. Changing the wheels are not going to help you win a "sprint" unless your current ones are really terrible. Hit nearly 40 mph on 1900g 32F/36R ambrosio nemesis wheelset in a village sign sprint so I think winning the sprint is more to with how much power you produce not with how light your wheels are. Really though what do you win apart from a lighter wallet due to all the kit you have bought.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.