Forks advice...

chrislledrod
chrislledrod Posts: 6
edited January 2015 in MTB buying advice
Evening all.

So I'm new to mtb'ing, got a second hand bike bout 10months ago, and loving it. I've got a pretty shoddy bike but it's got me going til now, and can't quite splash out on a cracking AM/Enduro just yet, so i'm looking to improve what i have.

http://www.bikepedia.com/quickbike/Bike ... R++XC+Comp

It's a 2008 Specialized XC FSR Comp. I'm just about to get some SLX m675 brakes fitted, as the Hayes Soles are a joke. But i'm looking to improve the RS Tora forks (which won't be hard tbh); what dya reckon i should get?
I'm looking for:
-Second hand (cheap)
-120/130/140mm ?
-cheap to maintain
-good for steep quick singletrack runs

Can't be spending hundreds as i will be upgrading whole bike soon (but not too soon), and as it's old frame (08) no new fork (tapered) will fit (i believe), so no future proofing.

Check the link out, laugh at my bike, and then tell me what you would get after throwing the toras in the bin.

Ta!

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Nothing more than 100mm and straight 1 1/8" steerer. Narrows the choice down a bit. 120mm might work. I wouldn't Anything more and you'll die, and probably break the bike. Or at least mess up the geometry.

Budget?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The Tora isn't a bad fork, but for that I'd look for some good used Reba's (buying new for an 08 bike when you may be replacing it is silly), with CD, you can probably push it to 120mm but no more.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Which model Tora do you have? What is your budget?
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I have seen an FSR XC with 180mm Domains. That wasn't a good idea.
    Plenty of people fit 120mm forks to them with good results.
    Tora's are a good, reliable option or there's the Manitou Minutes for about £130 on CRC but not sure about the steerer size.
  • Cheers lads; the Toras i have are the 302 SL. As my confidence increases downhill the more i notice their weaknesses. (obviously). Don't have a big budget, 100-150. Second hand best bet. 120mm will work ok dya think?

(Obvious answer would be to save up for a big bike, rather than upgrading the xc fsr; but i'm happy to stick with her for the time being, improve my riding, then go all out in a year or so when i've decided if i prefer DH/AM/XC)
  • The Rookie
    Reba at 120mm or Rev's at 120mm (most are 130, they are easy to space down to 120, or get shorter travel and they can be increased easily enough, my daughters 130's were bought at 100mm.).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Ok cool. I've been keeping an eye out for rebas. You recon 130 is too much for the frame? 120 max or maybe get away with 130? or just a big fat NO CHANCE?
  • The Rookie
    Two issues with running two long a fork is two fold, firstly you can change the geometry of the bike for the worse, giving head and seat tube angles not backed up by the right BB height etc, and also safety, longer forks put more stresses into the frame which is may not cope with, stick to 120.
  • Cheers Rookie. Will stick with 120. Was just wondering incase i saw a good deal on 130s. I'll forget that and keep looking for rebas etc
  • The Rookie
    Get some 130's and space them down, not hard!