Galaxy or MTB for week long on road tour in UK?

salsarider79
salsarider79 Posts: 828
edited January 2015 in Tour & expedition
I'm planning on riding from Norwich to Penzance for a family holiday in June/July. I am giving myself 8 days to get there, which is an average of about 70miles per day. I did a similar distance/milage per day this year on my first tour coming from just north of Dumfries to Norwich, so am happy with distance, milage, etc.
I'm wondering about whether I should use my classic Dawes Galaxy or my old MTB. The Dawes is fine but the front end isn't very stiff leading to some interesting moments going downhill, and I'm not impressed with the brakes either.
In the garage, I have an old Giant Boulder which I have fitted mudguards and rack to, to use as my gym bike/commuter. I have got some butterfly bars to fit on the bike too. I could fit the front rack from the Dawes and use that (I haven't mastered the art of minimal packing yet!)......but what do you more experienced tourers think? I've only done the one tour so far, so am looking for suggestions, advice and help......
jedster wrote:
Just off to contemplate my own mortality and inevitable descent into decrepedness.
FCN 3 or 4 on road depending on clothing
FCN 8 off road because I'm too old to go racing around.

Comments

• dnrc
    dnrc Posts: 159
    i would get the galaxy serviced so it works properly and use that.
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    I'm planning on riding from Norwich to Penzance for a family holiday in June/July. I am giving myself 8 days to get there, which is an average of about 70miles per day. I did a similar distance/milage per day this year on my first tour coming from just north of Dumfries to Norwich, so am happy with distance, milage, etc.

Bear in mind that Devon and Cornwall (and parts of Somerset) are very hilly.

Go with whichever bike you feel most comfortable and safe on - which doesn't sound like the Galaxy.
  • I have some butterfly bars which I'm going to try on the galaxy. I'll be able to fit proper 'v' brakes which will sort one problem out.....hmmmm..... :?
    jedster wrote:
    Just off to contemplate my own mortality and inevitable descent into decrepedness.
    FCN 3 or 4 on road depending on clothing
    FCN 8 off road because I'm too old to go racing around.
  • bigjim
    bigjim Posts: 780
    Sounds like the galaxy needs a service. I've got a galaxy that steers perfectly and the brakes are fine though I'm not a fan of these brakes, the ones on the Galaxy are very good so I assume it's the setup.