Maths question

johnboy183
johnboy183 Posts: 832
edited January 2015 in The cake stop
If I were to do 1 press up on January 1st, 2 on the 2nd, 3 on the 3rd etc, how many would I have done in total by December 31st 2015?

Comments

• johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    66795. Arithmetic progression, 365 terms, first term 1 and last term 365.
  • That was quick. Thanks. Perhaps, if I remeber, I'll let you know in around a years time!
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Triangle numbers isn't it.

1 3 6 10 15...

Worked out by the following to find the value of the nth triangle number, so use 365 as 'n' in this:

n squared + n
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    Maybe a dozen before you decide it just isn't worth it. :-)
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    Don't forget that you'll need rest days.
  • RDW
    RDW Posts: 1,900
    Why not just double the number every day?
  • Me-109 wrote:
    Maybe a dozen before you decide it just isn't worth it. :-)

I'll arm wrestle you then kick your butt for such cheek!!!
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    I tried this challenge a few years ago.

One year it was going well but then I was so busy I accidentally forgot one or two days so it was pointless to carry on.

Another year, it got annoying being away from home (pub, restaurant, holiday, etc) and remembering you have to find somewhere to bang out 70 press ups before midnight. What do you do? Excuse yourself and go to the pub toilet?
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • It rather depends if you go back to 1 on February 1st.
  • RDW wrote:

Not sure even superman could manage this! After 14 days the total would be something like 18,000+
    Why should I start again on February 1? Appreciate the need for a rest but not to start again from scratch? Perhaps restart at 25 reps?
  • RDW
    RDW Posts: 1,900
    johnboy183 wrote:
    RDW wrote:

Not sure even superman could manage this! After 14 days the total would be something like 18,000+

I didn't say it would be easy :D
  • Arghhhhhh
  • ravey1981
    ravey1981 Posts: 1,111
    I've done this challenge before, but the rules were that you could catch up on missed days. Eg if you missed doing 20 you could add them on to the following days total....but you weren't allowed to do them in advance and "save them up" so to speak. You could also do them in batches throughout the day if you wanted. It never gets hard because you just get stronger as the year goes on but it does get boring.
  • 3 of each done. Just 120odd thousand more :D