Campagnolo Zonda any reason not to?

Ackie
Ackie Posts: 22
edited January 2015 in Road buying advice
Yawn! Sorry but I'm about to buy some Campagnolo Zondas as they have great reviews and a good price (£250) on wiggle.
Any reason not to, other than offending purists (they'll be run with a Shimano group set)? ;-)

Comments

• luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    Don't worry. I use them with SRAM/Shimano on my CR1. Lovely wheels for that price.
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Not really, unless you see a better deal. I got these recently http://www.merlincycles.com/forza-cirru ... 72600.html I like them (haven't done many miles on them yet as they are on my summer bike).
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    passout wrote:
    Not really, unless you see a better deal. I got these recently http://www.merlincycles.com/forza-cirru ... 72600.html I like them (haven't done many miles on them yet as they are on my summer bike).

Wow, that's some nice wheels for the price!

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • pastie
    pastie Posts: 43
    I upgraded stock PR2s on my giant a few weeks ago to zondas, love them! Don't hesitate.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    If you weigh over 90kg then I would go handbuilt/higher spoke count. Also, if you do long rides where reliability is important then, again, a higher spoke count may be more important. Failing that, very decent wheels for the price but best left for riding for another month or so as the salted roads will wear the rims unduly and they are pretty much consumable products.
  • gusm41
    gusm41 Posts: 92
    Thought they had a 109kg weight limit?
  • Not everyone is a 15st+ fatty so factory wheels are easily the best <£500 option ... although not for everyone :wink:
    Life is unfair, kill yourself or get over it.
  • Hmmm so at 95kg's are the zondas no good then??
  • yaya
    yaya Posts: 411
    jamin100 wrote:
    Hmmm so at 95kg's are the zondas no good then??

I have 2 sets of Fulcrum 3's (essentially the same as the Zondas, just more expensive). One is from spring 2010 and has covered around 12-13K kilometres inc. 3 winters. Over that period 1 spoke in the rear wheel came loose twice and the nipple was floating inside the rim...in both cases LBS was able to sort it out. I opened the rear hub a couple of times just to close it back and I grease the freehub pawls once a year. The braking surface is seriously conceived but it hasn't fallen apart yet. The front wheel NEVER needed any adjustment or truing.

The 2nd set is a 2011 model, bought it 2nd hand last spring and covered ~5,500km on them...no truing, no adjustment needed as yet

I should mention that for the majority of the last 5 years I weighed 93-96Kg (I'm now 10kg lighter and intend to keep it that way...)

I don't know if handbuilts at that price range could/ would last that long without needing more frequent attention and/ or giving a bit more trouble...
  • Elfed
    Elfed Posts: 459
    type:epyt wrote:
    Not everyone is a 15st+ fatty so factory wheels are easily the best <£500 option ... although not for everyone :wink:

Why is everyone over 15st a fatty?
  • Elfed wrote:
    Not everyone is a 15st+ fatty so factory wheels are easily the best <£500 option ... although not for everyone :wink:

According to this chart you need to be over 6'4" not to be overweight at 15 stone... :wink:

BMI-Chart.gif
    left the forum March 2023
  • Elfed
    Elfed Posts: 459
    Elfed wrote:

According to this chart you need to be over 6'4" not to be overweight at 15 stone... :wink:

BMI-Chart.gif

I'm 6'6" :wink:
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,642
    There is an error in that chart for a 180.3 height at 70.5 kilos.
    I have Zondas on my carbon bike, they are great.
  • Good wheels in my opinion.

I'd be careful though - I think the Wiggle supplied Zondas are only available with a Campy set up and would not be suitable for Shimano / SRAM
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Good wheels in my opinion.

I'd be careful though - I think the Wiggle supplied Zondas are only available with a Campy set up and would not be suitable for Shimano / SRAM

Wiggle offer both Shimano and Campag fit freehubs - at least they did when I bought mine about 6 months ago.

IIRC the Shimano fit wheels seem to drop off the stock availability every so often but if you ask for a stock alert they usually re-appear within a few days

Just had a quick Google and it seems ironically that they are only offering the Shimano/SRAM ATM for £254

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/campagnolo-zond ... 1&curr=GBP
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652

BMI-Chart.gif

I'm sure you're aware that BMI is a very poor way of assertaining if somebody is 'overweight'.
  • type:epyt
    type:epyt Posts: 766
    Likely more accurate than spoke count ;)
    Life is unfair, kill yourself or get over it.
  • Probably too late to this thread, but despite >15,000 miles of faithful service by three different models of Campag clincher wheelsets (Zonda, Eurus, Neutron) I do have reservations about buying a new set, purely because tyre choice and the ease of tyre changing becomes an issue.

No doubt people with better technique/stronger hands will be along to shout me down.