Cant find a chain set to fit my bottom bracket

nharv3y
nharv3y Posts: 6
edited January 2015 in Road beginners
hi, I'm new to bike building and currently building a single gear road bike to get me from A to B. I can't seem to find a chain set to fit my bottom bracket, and was wondering if anyone could help me out?. Ive included pictures

thanks

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    It looks like a standard square taper (probably JIS), but with a threaded boss on the end. Assuming it is JIS, then any compatible square taper chainset should fit.

Assuming the shell is a standard 68mm BSA, then you have a pretty wide choice of chainsets, provided you use a compatible BB. More info on the frame would be useful..
  • just checked and it has a 3S or a 39 on it. (unsure if it says S or 9) does that help?
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    nharv3y wrote:
    just checked and it has a 3S or a 39 on it. (unsure if it says S or 9) does that help?

Not really no. Not even sure what you're referring to.
  • Is that really the only marking on it? I don't know how much experience with square tapers you have, but they're usually fairly compatible, at least in my experience - even Campag/Shimano. (Though you're better off matching)
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    If you remove it the axle measurements will be stamped in the middle. Of course it is most likely for a double bi could be longer. You would be far better off buying your single-ring c/set and getting the BB with it or buying one to suit.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Nutted BB spindles are typical of cheaper/no-name components so expect it's simply a case of trying some cranks to see if you get a reasonable chainline. Probably means you'll need some sort of 'fix' for the backwheel to space-out the sprocket. Easiest would be to find a suitable crank and matching BB - a cheap square taper BB is only a tenner.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • tonyf34
    tonyf34 Posts: 194
    3S is marked on the axle itself and relates to the length of the spindle, it's in this case it is 125mm long and also to the fact it is for a 68mm width shell.
    Given it's that long it's more likely that it was for a triple chainset, but something like a stronglight 80/100/200 would work (you can still buy rings for them through SPA cycles and Ebay). Gives you a huge range of options as the 86mm BCD means you can go for a super wide compact such as a 50/28 or run it as a triple, std road double..
    Also you could try a Sakae chainset, you see the odd compact 110BCD knocking about, these are solid as you like and all the modern compact rings fit them.
    HTH