Upgrade advice - Wheels, brakes & forks

griffsters
griffsters Posts: 490
edited December 2014 in MTB buying advice
Just after some opinions on what i'm thinking of doing and at what point do I stop and say just get a new bike!

I currently ride a Cannondale Trail SL1 2011. Mostly trails and XC around the Pennine way with occasional visits to trail centres (Llandegla / Gisburn). Current components are Hayes Stroker ride comp brakes, alex rims wheels that came with the bike and Rockshox recon Silver tk fork. I feel comfortable on this bike, I think the geometry suits me and fits me well. I'm forever adjusting the brakes and wheel hubs - these are the items I want to prioritise an upgrade on

Brakes - looking at upgrading to Shimano SLX M675. This looks like a good and easy upgrade option at under £90?

26" Wheels - This is where my head starts hurting. I just don't have the knowledge to pick best bang for buck here - so many things to consider. Not made of money so I am looking at under £200. Any suggestions to get me going?

Fork - The fork does me fine tbh but is on my radar as something to upgrade when wheels / brakes are sorted. However, I think I need to factor this in with what wheels I buy regarding axle standards etc. At the moment I use normal QR skewers but notice things have moved on axle wise over the last few years - if I bought a wheelset for my current forks would I then be restricted for a future updated fork?

I have 9 spd gruppo at the moment, but this is fine I'll replace as it starts to break or wear out. I don't have the money to splash on a new bike really but there comes a point where something isn't worth spending on and I should wait until i can afford one. Particularly with the onset of new standards in wheels etc. Decisions decisions. Input most welcome. Thanks.

Comments

• Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    For wheels under £200 I'd be looking at something like the superstar tech4 wheelset or a custom build using their switch or tesla hubs as they have changeable adaptors so you can change the adaptor to suit any new forks.

As for brakes, SLX are highly regarded, you're unlikely to go wrong with them.

As for forks, with a wheelset such as the one above you'll have less issues finding a new fork, however the steerer standard of you frame may limit choices as a lot are now tapered. Depending on the the head tube size if you don't already have a tapered firk it may be possible to fit one with a new lower headset.
  • Thanks Antm81, just the kind of info i'm after. The steerer on the 'dale 1.5" so would likely need some sort of adapter or new headset for forks, *think* this is do-able
  • Antm81
    1.5" is unusual if it's straight but the good news is tapered is 1.5 to 1 1/8" so a new upper headset and stem should allow you to fit the most common forks.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    1.5" straight steerer is normal for Canondale.
    I would recommend a Rockshox Reba with 15mm axle and tapered steerer and Stans Crest rims on Superstar hubs.
  • Antm81
    I would recommend a Rockshox Reba with 15mm axle and tapered steerer and Stans Crest rims on Superstar hubs.

I'd recommend the crests too but they come out about £50 over budget, may be able to get them cheaper in any upcoming sale though.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    Forks - http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mani ... -prod90497

wheels - http://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/b ... cx-ray.htm or something stronger
    - http://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/s ... eelset.htm

Brakes - have a look second hand, I'm going to be selling an SLX rear for £25 + postage and they are £45 new from CRC
  • Thanks all really useful info. Those Manitou forks look interesting - had only really considered Rockshox / Fox ones tbh. Very tempting price, look like they get good reviews but have a history of reliability issues. They do seem a bargain compared to Rockshox tho. Now to check out an adapter for that headset :?

Superstar looking good for wheels just need to absorb the details to decide which ones best for me and whether to buy at same time as forks to get the right axle adapter...

Think i'll order those brakes, £82 at Ribble, prefer to get both at the same time - cheers POAH.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    good price at ribble

BTW Manitou forks don't have reliability issues
  • Quite sold on those tbh - as is often the case you hear the bad stuff on t'inernet. Might just ask my LBS about fitting them to my 'dale, in all honesty it sounds like a job for them.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    There is a set of Hope Hoops for sale in the classifieds for £225, Hope XC6 with Crest rims.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Hmmm interesting, thx. Why do I always end up spending more than I planned? Its a mystery!

Edit: Think those wheels may be a bit too race orientated for me tho :?
  • The Rookie
    Not sure what you mean, they are good XC/Trail rims, if you want race you would use Alpine or Podium rims and lighter hubs.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Its just the spoke count is lower? Is this negated by the quality of component? Cheers.
  • The Rookie
    Spoke count isn't that relevant in a properly built wheel unless you are talking extreme usage like DH or jumping, these will cope just fine on your SL.
  • Thanks for the info - unfortunately tho they are going to end up well out of my range with P&P.