Back to MTB. Advice on Steed.

christurbo
christurbo Posts: 432
edited January 2015 in MTB buying advice
After having a long stint road biking and TTing I am getting bored and fancy going back to MTB.

I have been thrashing around on the wife's Trek on some local XT trails so want to get back into things properly and hot some trail centres.

I have a background of various Specialized Enduros and a XT. I want to stick to an AM type of bike.

My shortlist so far is either a:

Spesh Enduro Evo Expert (180mm)
Orange Five Pro

The Spesh is heavy at over 30lbs whilst I believe the Orange is lighter. The extra weight might be a concern, but is the Orange a bit of a dinosaur now?

What would you guys be looking at on the market?

Thanks.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    XT trail and bike? Do you mean XC (cross country)?

The 26" Pro was 28lbs, so doubt the 650b wheeled version will come in much under 30 with the added wheel/tyre/tube weight and slightly more frame material.

£3k is a lot to blow if you are just coming back to the sport, there are also a lot of options out there depending in intended usage, will that really mean an AM bike is the best option for you?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Are you sure you want an enduro type bike? You need to be riding pretty hard to need a bike that big.
    I guess you mean xc trails? If you're riding xc and trail centres and trail centres then a lighter trail bike will be more fun and a lot easier on the climbs.
    Take a look at the Stumpjumper if you like Specialized, thats probably closer to the old Enduro but lighter and more efficient and a much more all round bike.
  • Thanks gents - yes I meant XC! Too many Xmas whiskeys.

I've had 3 Enduros but probably didn't get full use out of them to be honest. Might have a look at the lighter rigs.
    My friend had bought a carbon hardtail but what he gains in lightweight speed he loses in plushness!
  • RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794
    For XC type trails, I would also consider the Stumpjumpers under loved shorter travel brother, the Camber.
  • The Rookie
    Or the Anthem or Trance.

Lots of really good Trail bikes around at the moment. In both 26 and 650B sizes.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rockmonkeysc
    The Rookie wrote:
    Or the Anthem or Trance.

Lots of really good Trail bikes around at the moment. In both 26 and 650B sizes.

Both very good but so different from Specialized FSR suspension that it may not feel as good to someone who likes FSR.
    The Camber Evo would be worth looking at as well.
  • The Rookie
    True, but without a comparator he may find he prefers Maestro to FSR, also the Maestro will be more like FSR than the Orange single pivot.

Demo days at Cannock March 21/22 I believe, nice and local for you RR.
  • rockmonkeysc
    I would say FSR feels closer to the Orange single pivot than Meastro.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    True, but without a comparator he may find he prefers Maestro to FSR, also the Maestro will be more like FSR than the Orange single pivot.

Demo days at Cannock March 21/22 I believe, nice and local for you RR.

Thanks - is that at Swinnertons?
  • The Rookie
    Not sure, I've just seen a link somewhere, probably from Swinnertons, yes.
  • Thanks for the help guys, I got an Orange Five Pro but with some upgrades:-

Fox 36 Float Kashima
    Fox RP2 Float
    Hope Tech M4s with split 205s
    Renthal stem and flat widebar (780mm)
    1x10 setup with Hope 34t and 40t extender
    Saint shifter with Zee clutch mech
    Rockshox reverb seat post
    Hope Evo Pro 2 hubs with Tubeless tyres (Maxxis Minion).

Prob a few bits missing - it's fun.