Stumpy Expert Carbon 650b

peter_booker2003
peter_booker2003 Posts: 566
edited March 2015 in Your mountain bikes
After doing events like the Dyfi Enduro this year i really wanted to set my aim on some of the longer events for next year.

Wanted something that would climb well but go down well too but with smaller wheels and as the E29 was a very big bike this was the obvious progression.

I'd read some reviews about it not being as good as the 29 version but i'd test ridden the alloy version a couple of months ago and really enjoyed it. So, here it is.

Hyper green and Black. (yes, it is that bright)
Size large frame. Stock apart from the tyres, bar, stem, spiderless chainring and a couple of hope purple bits.
Tyres are now on Trail King front and MK2 rear. Both 2.2 running tubeless.

Weight with DMR V12 pedals comes in at 27.5 lbs (12.5kg). Very light for a bike with 150mm travel front and rear.

What do you reckon?

image_zps09327c5a.jpg
image_zpsf4414832.jpg

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    F**k that's bright......I thought my mates Endorphin was bright until now!

Nice bike, looks sweet, how does it ride though?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Rides great. Very fast along the flat and climbs good too.

Very stable descender and loads of fun.

Very pleased with it
  • Haven't updated this for a while but a fair few things have changed.
    Enjoying the bike a lot now, especially with it being so light yet descends so well.

Now running a 160mm travel air spring in the fork which has helped bring the geometry in line with similar bikes.
    Hope Tech 3 E4 in Purple with Purple Floating Rotors. Oh, how i love Hope's Staff Purchase Scheme.
    Fobbed off the X01 Mech and shifter and replaced with XTR. Works flawlessly.
    Also now running the Spesh SRL under bar dropper lever, which works great.

Few photos attached. Still wanting to throw a 36 on the front but only when funds allow. It's not like the Pike is a bad fork though.

image_zpsekppiq89.jpg

image_zpszkgm6r76.jpg
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Very nice, I have always liked Stumpy's and dont understand why they arent more popular. They can get down a hill very fast when ridden right!
    Its worth considering a Marzocchi 350ncr over the Fox 36, I think its the best enduro fork available at the moment, easily better than a Pike or 36 and with better service intervals.
  • ej2320
    ej2320 Posts: 1,543
    Very nice, I have always liked Stumpy's and dont understand why they arent more popular. They can get down a hill very fast when ridden right!

Agreed!... If only I could afford one

What do you like about the Marzocchi? I haven't tried one
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Marzocchi have been making the best damped and best sprung forks for years. Nothing matches the sensitivity and control of a high end Marzocchi. They just keep the wheels glued to the ground. The downside has always been the weight but they are now down to a competative weight.
    I always wanted a 55 rc3 ti evo because it rode so well but it weighed a ton!
    After the dreadful reliability of their 2008/2009 models they came back with excellent forks but its taken time for them to rebuild their reputation.
  • One of my favourites also and probably would have owned one by now had I not been able to get very good pricing on Trek. Used to be a bit of a Spesh fan boy.
    Bird Aeris : Trek Remedy 9.9 29er : Trek Procaliber 9.8 SL
  • Marzocchi have been making the best damped and best sprung forks for years. Nothing matches the sensitivity and control of a high end Marzocchi. They just keep the wheels glued to the ground. The downside has always been the weight but they are now down to a competative weight.
    I always wanted a 55 rc3 ti evo because it rode so well but it weighed a ton!
    After the dreadful reliability of their 2008/2009 models they came back with excellent forks but its taken time for them to rebuild their reputation.
    A friend has put a second hand 350 on his 2015 Mega AM build and I'm pretty impressed by it with a similar feeling to my 36.
    Bird Aeris : Trek Remedy 9.9 29er : Trek Procaliber 9.8 SL
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    X11 SL working alright on the X01 cassette I assume? I was gonna fit one to mine, but just went XX1 again.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    I like the bike.. but purple and yellow... I feel like someone has vomited on my screen!
  • Yeah, the KMC chain works great.

I know what you mean regards the colour. Very much like marmite!