Christmas greetings, but my xmas day ride is ruined.

ademort
ademort Posts: 1,924
edited December 2014 in The cake stop
Wishing all forum members a great christmas yet another year of friendly banter and interesting topics gone by.Was looking forward to a xmas day ride out. The weather is fantastic but i,m full of the flu :cry:
ademort
Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
Giant Defy 4
Mirage Columbus SL
Batavus Ventura

Comments

• dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    Good news, I'm downgrading your flu to 'cold' status. If you had flu, you wouldn't be posting on an Internet Forum :)

Merry Christmas, GWS.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    Weather a bit rough here this morning so cancelled ride and went for a walk to the beach instead :roll:

DSC03211.jpg
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    We got hailstone today. Its nearly snow but it hurts more.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,360
    A Christmas Jackanory.

Went out in what was an apparent break in the weather, determined not to miss out and take advantage of the lack of traffic...

Hmph. Lots of traffic until I hit the back roads then half way, a hail and rainstorm to beat all hail and rainstorms blew in on the back of a wind from hell (well, if hell was the Arctic). The hail was even bouncing off the handlebars. A couple of hailstones bounced underneath my glasses and hit my eye. 6 miles later and relatively impervious to the elements - even the hail that had gathered in the gaps in my helmet, now melting, I noticed that both pairs of gloves were soaking and my feet, despite the over-shoes, were a bit wet. The sun popped out and due to the very wet road, reflected off the surface like a mirror and was blinding. I pulled out the dark goggles and smiled knowing I had come prepared. Finally feeling good and the legs began to work, tail wind on my back along with the sun, I started to wonder if I had any fingers or feet. It's that deep cold, you know - the sort of deep cold where your bones hurt.
    Now it is a matter of survival. 10 miles before home and i'm thinking that those blokes in the Paris-Roubaix get it easy and then the pain spreads up the wrists. I decided to suck the excess moisture out of the gloves and spit it out.. This took quite a bit of effort; one frozen hand on the handlebars and one frozen hand in da mouf, steering the bike through slushy deposits of hail and breathing at the same time!
    I think it helped by about a fraction of a percent. Stopping to wring them out only created a further unseen problem; how the f*^% do i get them back on, I mean I can't even feel my digits...

Suffice to say I got back home, put my hands into a bowl of hot water and my god that was a bad idea. Despite all this, I cooked the roast beast and Yorkshire Pudding with all the trimmings and everybody was well fed and happy..

PS That photo designed to wind us all up that T47 posted was first pasted on 6 months ago.

Merry Christmas.

I got home in one piece
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,538
    The joys of road riding :wink:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • That's a good story, I'd share your pain but I would have quit, took shelter in a bus stop and phoned my wife for a lift.
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    dodgy wrote:
    Good news, I'm downgrading your flu to 'cold' status. If you had flu, you wouldn't be posting on an Internet Forum :)

Merry Christmas, GWS.

Flu sounds a bit more manly than just a cold :wink:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    A Christmas Jackanory.

Went out in what was an apparent break in the weather, determined not to miss out and take advantage of the lack of traffic...

Hmph. Lots of traffic until I hit the back roads then half way, a hail and rainstorm to beat all hail and rainstorms blew in on the back of a wind from hell (well, if hell was the Arctic). The hail was even bouncing off the handlebars. A couple of hailstones bounced underneath my glasses and hit my eye. 6 miles later and relatively impervious to the elements - even the hail that had gathered in the gaps in my helmet, now melting, I noticed that both pairs of gloves were soaking and my feet, despite the over-shoes, were a bit wet. The sun popped out and due to the very wet road, reflected off the surface like a mirror and was blinding. I pulled out the dark goggles and smiled knowing I had come prepared. Finally feeling good and the legs began to work, tail wind on my back along with the sun, I started to wonder if I had any fingers or feet. It's that deep cold, you know - the sort of deep cold where your bones hurt.
    Now it is a matter of survival. 10 miles before home and i'm thinking that those blokes in the Paris-Roubaix get it easy and then the pain spreads up the wrists. I decided to suck the excess moisture out of the gloves and spit it out.. This took quite a bit of effort; one frozen hand on the handlebars and one frozen hand in da mouf, steering the bike through slushy deposits of hail and breathing at the same time!
    I think it helped by about a fraction of a percent. Stopping to wring them out only created a further unseen problem; how the f*^% do i get them back on, I mean I can't even feel my digits...

Suffice to say I got back home, put my hands into a bowl of hot water and my god that was a bad idea. Despite all this, I cooked the roast beast and Yorkshire Pudding with all the trimmings and everybody was well fed and happy..

PS That photo designed to wind us all up that T47 posted was first pasted on 6 months ago.

Merry Christmas.

I got home in one piece

Jeez! I can't believe anyone rides a bike in the winter in the UK, well done for getting out :shock:

The photo was Christmas morning, would you like a Boxing Day one too? :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    ademort wrote:
    Wishing all forum members a great christmas yet another year of friendly banter and interesting topics gone by.Was looking forward to a xmas day ride out. The weather is fantastic but i,m full of the flu :cry:

Well I was on the beach close to you with my wife and kids. My youngest had a rugby ball for Christmas - it was comical trying to kick it into the 30mph wind !!!! I was glad I didn't bother bringing my bike.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,360
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Oh, d'oh - forgot, there's no rain, hail and wind off road, it's all sun sun sun.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Oh, d'oh - forgot, there's no rain, hail and wind off road, it's all sun sun sun.
    Body armour is good weather proofing. And we get to warm up a bit in the van...
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    arran77 wrote:
    Flu sounds a bit more manly than just a cold :wink:

I've had 'proper flu' (proper granny killing flu) perhaps 3 times in my life. So, I agree that the term 'flu' get's grossly over-used. However, I'm starting to lean towards describing my colds as flu aswell. If you tell someone you have a cold, the usual response is "awww diddums" even when you feel really, really shiddy.

And thus people feel they should bravely soldier on, spreading their virus to all and sundry as a result.

I had the first twinge of a sore throat on Xmas Eve. I got a good 100km ride in, Xmas Day i felt very rough but nothing was going to stop my Xmas Day ride! Well, my free-wheel disintegrated 12 miles from home which did end the ride, but i got out!

Been bed bound ever since. Sore throat turned into a chesty cough. Chesty cough morphed into a blocked sinus and here we are dripping from my eyes and nose when I should be at THE family lunch.

Merry Christmas.
  • ademort
    ademort Posts: 1,924
    Ok, we can call it cold, flu whatever you like. Point is i,ve not been able to cycle anywhere and have done almost nothing but sit in the house since Tuesday.Feeling tired, lethargic, stiff, coughing, runny nose and headache. Calling the GP first thing in the morning.Will let you know.
    ademort
    Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • Stevo_666
    ademort wrote:
    Calling the GP first thing in the morning.Will let you know.
    Will you let us know even if your GP says 'MTFU and take some lemsip' ? :wink: