The hierarchy of Christmas desserts

finchy
finchy Posts: 6,686
edited December 2014 in The cake stop
Mince pies>Yule log>Christmas cake>Christmas Pudding.

Comments

• If the > symbols are being used in their mathematical sense, I disagree, but if this is the ascending order of choice, I agree :lol:

Merry Christmas !
    All the gear, but no idea...
  • Yule log is not a proper Christmas dessert, it's just a fancy swiss roll with plastic holly on it.
    Stollen<mince pies<Christmas cake<Christmas pudding.
    Happy Christmas
    Look 566
    Dolan Hercules
    Genesis Flyer
    Sintesi 707
    Genesis Aether
    Charge Plug
  • finchy
    If the > symbols are being used in their mathematical sense, I disagree, but if this is the ascending order of choice, I agree :lol:

Merry Christmas !

It's the former. This thread is not intended for debate. I'm educating and enlightening you all.
  • finchy
    Yule log is not a proper Christmas dessert, it's just a fancy swiss roll with plastic holly on it.
    Stollen<mince pies<Christmas cake<Christmas pudding.
    Happy Christmas

Christmas pudding is just a fancy pudding that has been set on fire.
  • You are all wrong.
    Option 1 - eat so much dinner you cannot face more.
    Option 2 - have more seconds so you cannot eat more.
    If you really must have a second course, then cheese , biscuits and port.
  • RDW
    RDW Posts: 1,900
    Is there such a thing as a bad Christmas dessert? The best one is whichever is in reach without stretching (you can burn it off with a quick 30 miler later).
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Does eating half a tin of quality street and a Terry's chocolate orange count as dessert?
  • Does eating half a tin of quality street and a Terry's chocolate orange count as dessert?
    Not if it's before dinner.
  • A distinct lack of cheese in the above (yes I know cheese isn't a desert...) leaves me to believe that this section of the forum is full of lack and fail.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    You are all wrong.
    Option 1 - eat so much dinner you cannot face more.
    Option 2 - have more seconds so you cannot eat more.
    If you really must have a second course, then cheese , biscuits and port.

Is nearly the correct answer. A bowl of trifle after seconds, slight pause and then bring on the cheese. Oh and then the cognac. Blimey I'm glad it's only once a year!
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,596
    Christmas pud washed down with a good dessert wine is the only option for me.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Christmas pud washed down with a good dessert wine is the only option for me.

Totally agree Stevo, anyway Yule log is always a Boxing Day morning event for me :wink:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • Yule log = chocolate turd.

Now stollen is nice if you get a good one. Same applies to Xmas cakes and puddings.

A revelation this year was Xmas puddings with chocolate sauce (and brandy butter, my biggest, seasonal weakness). Seriously it works well, try it.

BTW I never get too full for afters indeed I'm not a keen Xmas dinner type.
  • andy9964
    andy9964 Posts: 930
    Does eating half a tin of quality street and a Terry's chocolate orange count as dessert?
    Not if it's before dinner.

More importantly, does the Terry's orange count as one of the recommended 5-a-day
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,689
    After two hours of eating we had to have a break before moving on to the desserts but it was worth it. Strangely we didn't feel the need to eat last night. But it was nearly six by the time we finished lunch.
    In terms of hierarchy, who gives a toss? I ate, and enjoyed, all of them.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    No, no and thrice no.

The correct order is:
    1. Mince pies (either with cream, custard or naked)
    2. Christmas pud (ditto)
    3. Christmas cake

Cheese and biscuits counts as a main if you eat enough. Stollen isn't in the list because none of Aylesbury's supermarkets had any.

Brandy butter is Satan's pus so will not be allowed within 3 miles of my mouth.

Yule log is just a reshaped chocolate cake and is therefore ineligible.

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • finchy
    So have none of you lot ever had home-made yule log then?
  • RDW
    SecretSam wrote:

No, no, no.

Brandy butter is essential on Christmas pudding and nice melted on top of a hot mince pie. No other brandy sauces are worth bothering with. If you don't make the butter yourself, accept only the fresh stuff (e.g. from M&S) not the long-life butter in a jar.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    RDW wrote:
    SecretSam wrote:

No, no, no.

Brandy butter is essential on Christmas pudding and nice melted on top of a hot mince pie. No other brandy sauces are worth bothering with. If you don't make the butter yourself, accept only the fresh stuff (e.g. from M&S) not the long-life butter in a jar.

Can you not use vodka margarine instead :-)
  • RDW
    RDW wrote:
    SecretSam wrote:

No, no, no.

Can you not use vodka margarine instead :-)

"That's brilliant Eddie. Are you sure it's flammable?"
  • florerider
    florerider Posts: 1,112
    Anyway they are puddings, not desserts ffs