Ready for a return to MTB

road_runner12
road_runner12 Posts: 113
edited December 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi all,

Just after some general advice. Have started looking into buying a mountain bike. Just want to do some off road trails like I did in my teen years and for a change from the road bike in the 'British' weather. Called into an LBS who offered me an immediate discount on a Cube Aim disc 26. Offered it to me at £350 - it is the 2014 model as I'm not really fussed about having the newest bikes, just want value for money. My budget is £300 - £370.

As for sizing - where should my "valuables" be in relation to the top tube when stood over the bike (not on the pedals)?

Any help/advice much appreciated

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Not great but probably worth the discounted price.

Standover height is not really important, as you are not going to stand over the bike.

More important is the size and reach.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • I was just a little concerned when I stood over the bike and the top tube very much met the "valuables". Just wondered if there should be a little more clearance for those occasions when I need to dismount. LBS staff did mention that they felt position and size was fine. Just wanted to get some reassurance that I wasn't being told all was ok when all they wanted was to shift stock. I appreciate that the budget I have isn't what others would consider brilliant, but I still want to make sure it's money well spent.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Salesman like to sell old bikes to get rid of them, I'd always be wary of their advice. You'd want maybe a minimum of 6 inches of seatpost showing, and a comfortable reach to the bars.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    As CD says it's the reach that is critical, you can adjust the saddle height by a lot, but Cockpit length you are pretty much stuck with as you are the length from BB to bars which gives an indication of how easy the bike wil be to manoeuvre, as ling as you have a sensible amount of seatpost showing, then that is fine. Standover is a nice to have but irrelevant to whether or not a bike is the right size to ride.

Do you have an experienced friend who can have a look at your riding position on it?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.