buying second hand with paypal

k3vinjam3s
k3vinjam3s Posts: 266
edited December 2014 in Road buying advice
I've seen a bike on eBay and I'm looking to deal off eBay with seller to save some cash for both of us. Never bought an expensive item before like this so what's my best option. I trust the sellers integrity as comms have been good and feedback spot on. What would be safest way for me to pay?

Comments

• Through ebay! ;)
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • That's the obvious choice but buying now saves the auction running and missing out. What about classified sales o. this forum, I assume just done thru PayPal too.
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    There isn't really a safe way to send money (with protection) other than Paypal. The receiver of the money will still have to pay a fee if you use Paypal 'goods'.

Whatever you do not send money via Western Union.

Also do not pay with Paypal 'gift'. there is no protection whatsoever.

If he/or she is close. Meet in person and pay cash
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    k3vinjam3s wrote:
    That's the obvious choice but buying now saves the auction running and missing out. What about classified sales o. this forum, I assume just done thru PayPal too.

What you're both conspiring to do is outside of eBay rules. Big deal you may both say. But, before embarking on such activity, make a point of reading the small print gumpf first. Dealing outside of eBay leaves you or the seller no protection. The only possible benefit is the seller avoids the auction fees which is fraud. If you want the bike and the protection given by a deal conducted through eBay, get the seller to amend the listing to either include a buy it now price, or accept offers. Far safer for both of you.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    Pay cash agree a price that covers the cost of collection. Inspect bike take a receipt to confirm condition, description, price and transfer of title. Get seller to sign receipt.

simple.