Cycle groups in london

shaunaclare
shaunaclare Posts: 2
edited December 2014 in Road general
Hi
I'm looking for good cycling groups in London nearish to Kensal Green area. I've tried a few other groups and one was based in Crystal Palace which was way too far to commute. I want to get in good training so a club that promotes improvement in skills and speed and to meet nice people. I had a bad experience in 1 or 2 clubs and left as I found the groups to be really cliquey and unfriendly or just a really nasty element of bullying which I can do without in my life.
Thanks

Comments

• Have you tried SkyRide? You might find some local groups on there.
  • I can't recommend any myself, but have you tried the club finder on the british cycling website? http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/clubfinder
  • e17blade
    e17blade Posts: 215
    I can thoroughly recommend CC London - not especially handy for Kensal Green, but weekend club runs often leave from Regents Park (among many other things).

http://www.cc-london.com/

PM if you have any questions.

Cheers.

Dave
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Welcome to cycle clubs!

I must admit to having the same experience as you - out of ten three I've ridden with, I wouldn't go back to any of them for the reasons you have mentioned.

I ride with the local Tri club - for some reason they are nicer, friendlier, more accommodating ,a better laugh and, for the most part, faster, more dedicatedl competing at a higher level and skilful.

They're also les obsessed with looking the part but not being able to ride as fast as they look.

Worth looking up a tri club in your area and trying them out?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Just a bit of balance, Turned up for a training ride with a local club, Everyone friendly, was a very fast ride over hilly ground. did my fair share on the front and was thanked for turning up and giving it a go. Spent 40 years in the saddle and have yet to meet any elite/snobbish types. I've even bumped into and cycled along with a couple of guys who were in the TDF (not for long might I add) and they were friendly, chatty and wished me the best. My advice is don't be put off, if your worried about holding people up have a quick word at the start with whoever is leading the ride and tell them you are wearing your big boy or girl pants and if your stuggling just let someone know and drop off and do your own thing. Your never gonna know if you don't try. p.s Happy Christmas..
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    Just a bit of balance, Turned up for a training ride with a local club, Everyone friendly, was a very fast ride over hilly ground. did my fair share on the front and was thanked for turning up and giving it a go. Spent 40 years in the saddle and have yet to meet any elite/snobbish types. I've even bumped into and cycled along with a couple of guys who were in the TDF (not for long might I add) and they were friendly, chatty and wished me the best. My advice is don't be put off, if your worried about holding people up have a quick word at the start with whoever is leading the ride and tell them you are wearing your big boy or girl pants and if your stuggling just let someone know and drop off and do your own thing. Your never gonna know if you don't try. p.s Happy Christmas..

Good advice.

Clubs can be cliquey, irrespective of the sport. I've seen good and bad football, rugby, cricket, golf, rowing and cycling clubs over the years - finding a good one comes down to trial and error.
  • hopak
    hopak Posts: 193
    Not that I have any experience of them but these are not too far from Kensal Green
    http://www.willesdencyclingclub.co.uk