new to road cycling

SJL_0292
SJL_0292 Posts: 2
edited January 2015 in Road beginners
Hi all I am looking for some advice as this is all new to me.
I am looking to get into road cycling to commute to work as have moved to the beautiful county of Cumbria. I am only looking to do short distances of around 30 miles a day. I am 6"4" tall so will require something with a large frame. I have been looking on line there seems so many options to choose from. I do have a small budget of up to £500 , so am looking for a good budget bike which is suitable for a tall person who is a novice all suggestions welcome please? Thanks in advance

Sam

Comments

• city_boy
    city_boy Posts: 1,616
    Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarves are not happy.
  • Welcome to the forum SJL, and welcome to Cumbria - whereabouts are you, it's a big place?

For a Cumbrian commute, I'd definitely recommend something like this:

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sed/road- ... =conf_SERW

I realise it's a little over budget - are you eligible for a Cycle-to-work-scheme? I would thoroughly recommend taking one up if possible, the tax-free aspect means you can save quite a bit, so something like this would probably come in on budget, and you pay by installments over 12 months.
  • cadseen
    cadseen Posts: 170
    edited July 2015
    Have you considered the Felt from Wiggle @ http://tidd.ly/811f666a
  • Make sure you get the right frame size. I am 6ft 2" and thought I would need a larger frame than I ended up getting. Worth going to the LBS for a proper fitting. I have currently got a Giant Defy 2, which is a bit over your budget. However, the cheaper Defy 1 looks like a good buy.

Also consider what gears you might want, especially living in a hilly place. I found that I coped easily with all the Lake District hills on the C2C using a compact chainset. However, if you get the chance try out a few different configurations for yourself.
  • Welcome :D
    As already posted above it is definately worth heading to a local shop so you can test how a certain size feels on a turbo etc before you commit to buy anything.
    It generally is a little more expensive than buying online (although occasionally during sales they can be cheaper) but you get the confidence that the bike will fit, and you can always take it back for tweaking if you don't fancy it yourself.

For a first road bike I would definitely go for one that can take mudguards and has mounting bolts for pannier racks (which is great for commuting too!) and can fit wide tyres to make things more comfortable.
    Traditional touring bikes are pretty good for this, and relaxed cyclocross bikes can provide a lighter option.

A good bike shop can help point out suitable bikes if you tell them what you're likely to do with it.

Good luck and have fun- buying a new bike is always nice!
  • Dont forget that your cycling clothing will make a big difference to the enjoyment of your commute.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Dont forget that your cycling clothing will make a big difference to the enjoyment of your commute.

This is a very good point. Good quality clothing that fits properly keeps you comfortable, warm, dry and stops you being a huge flapping wind break. I am 6ft7 and this means benefit from the sales all the time getting good kit for half retail price or less.