Handel bar and stem help.

dova
dova Posts: 38
edited December 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi all

Ive just built up a santcruz bronson with fox 36 so I am after a new Handel bar but stuck on what rise to use or is it better to have more stem risers instead.
I was thinking of getting ether renthal carbon fatbar or race face SIX35 any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Handlebar, or bars, no music composers please!

You need to decide where you want the controls and then decide how you want to get them there, one persons just right is another's all wrong.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • dova
    dova Posts: 38
    At the minute I've got about 30mm of spacers and a 10 riser on the HANDELBAR it does feel high but I am afraid if I cut steer to short that I will regret it.
    So there's no best place the HANDELBAR should be, is it not better to have the HANDELBAR closer to the headset?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Sarcasm is probably uncalled for. If The Rookie had wanted to be his normal dickish self he would have pointed out the improper use of capitals as well. But he is old and in the spirit of festive love and tolerance we put up with him.

There is no best place, except for the best place to put the grips and controls where you want them. You don't need to cut the steerer to experiment - just put spacers on top of the stem as well. When it feels right, then cut.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    You're still wrong anyway. Handlebar. Not handelbar. Sarcasm fail.

There is no right. Totally personal. Ride what you have, see how you find it.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    cooldad wrote:
    If The Rookie had wanted to be his normal dickish self
    Thank you my Yoda, I seek to follow the path you lead me along, the course of true enlightenment.

I guess a Handelbar is where you drink to some light water music?

You handle stolen goods, not Handel them, I was trying to help and you had to make yourself look even sillier, oh well, I can say I tried.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    The Rookie wrote:
    I guess a Handelbar is where you drink to some light water music?

Dude, this is BR. I can hear the sound of a thousand wooshes from here.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    Handel bar. Is that something made by German manufacturer like Cube or Canyon ?

On a serious note... I had a problem getting a good fit with my road bike. I found this online stem visualiser tool. Very clever bit of kit, just type in the angle, length of stem and the spacers and it will show you where the handle bars or (ze handel wunderbar) will end up.

http://yojimg.net/bike/web_tools/stem.php

"The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • batmo
    batmo Posts: 277
    You old boys have just not caught on to the latest trail speak where cycling terms are replaced with the names of German composers. I suggest you put your feet on your Mozarts, lock out your Schuberts and just get out for a Beethoven!
    Viscount Grand Touring - in bits
    Trek ZX6500 - semi-retired
    HP Velotechnik Spirit
    Brompton M6
    Specialized Camber Comp
  • cooldad
    ben@31 wrote:
    Handel bar. Is that something made by German manufacturer like Cube or Canyon ?

On a serious note... I had a problem getting a good fit with my road bike. I found this online stem visualiser tool. Very clever bit of kit, just type in the angle, length of stem and the spacers and it will show you where the handle bars or (ze handel wunderbar) will end up.

http://yojimg.net/bike/web_tools/stem.php

It might tell you where the end of the stem will be, but not where your hands will be.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I prefer to have lower rise stem and low rise bars then adjust the height with spacers under/on top the stem. That way you can adjust it easily and move spacers from below the stem to above it and then maybe trim the steerer when you have settled on the right height. Plus I like my bars nice and low.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369