What can cause wrist pain?

on-yer-bike
on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
edited December 2014 in Road general
To do with cycling! Pain in my left wrist that coincides with using my winter bike but could be coincidence. The pain also persists off the bike. The winter bike has the same position but I feel the bumps more than on my other bikes. Its a steel Condor Fratello with Archetype wheels.
Pegoretti
Colnago
Cervelo
Campagnolo

Comments

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    I have the same problem at the moment I suspect its because my bars are too narrow and the stupidly short head tube.

I'm not riding that bike again until the new year, Jan sales should take care of that one.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • What hand ? The shifting on my bike has not been any good since I bought it , changing gear on the front mech is a decision making process on how much it will hurt my wrist !
    Could be the shifting on your stis may be different to your other bike and you are straining your wrist when changing gears.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    I dont think you need to have your wrist in any massively 'wrong' position for long to get discomfort.
    This exaggerated angle
    wrist_ligamentous_causes01.jpg
    should not be pleasant to hold for any length of time. If possible check the alignment between hand and wrist is a straight as you can make it... otherwise think of a wrist strap to keep it in check possibly.
  • mm1
    mm1 Posts: 1,063
    Steve Tilford (legendary American racer) blogged about his wrist pain recently, one suggestion was to sleep with a brace to keep the wrist straight overnight.
  • chrisw12
    chrisw12 Posts: 1,246
    Might be total left field thinking, but a few times I'd wake up with really bad pain in one wrist, couldn't work out what caused it, thought of the wife beating me during the night :oops: but ruled that out. I presumed it must have been cycling related, but it turned out that it was gout.

Most people associate gout with the big toe but it can affect any joint. You might not have gout, but it might be something which is not cycling related causing the pain.
  • kinioo
    kinioo Posts: 776
    Stop using cufflinks you little pervert :P
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    kinioo wrote:
    Stop using cufflinks you little pervert :P
    !?
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo