Shimano RD actual cage lengths M772

konadawg
konadawg Posts: 447
edited December 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Here's the deal, replacing my M770 non shadow RD which is a "short" type.

Got myself an M772 shadow GS supposedly also short.

The cage on the new RD looked long, so I compared old and new.

Axle to axle, the jockeywheels are 67mm apart on the old, and 85mm apart on the new. Nominal.

I just want to make sure that I did actually get a GS and was not sent an SGS (long) rd by mistake.

Can anyone advise what either a GS (short) or SGS (long) axle to axle measurements are on the M772 shadow RD? Either measurement will work.

Could well be that the cages have gotten longer, or I got the wrong size sent out, would prefer to clear it up before kicking up a fuss, potentially about nothing :oops:

Thanks in advance, it's good to be back!
Giant Reign X1

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    SGS is circa 100mm, the GS IS A 'long cage' in Shimano speak, the SGS is extra long.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • konadawg
    konadawg Posts: 447
    I compared the supposedly "short" GS to an older LX (normal, long) and there is not much in it lengthwise, perhaps 5mm.

And the Zee are just too short for a twin setup.

So apparently you can now buy super long, nearly long, and Zee (super short), but not moderately short/true medium as with the older 770.
    Giant Reign X1
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    As cassettes have got wider ratios, so the arm length required to cope has gone up, simples.

GS is not supposedly short, it is supposedly long!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.