Castelli Gabba Top Washing.

designman
designman Posts: 405
edited December 2014 in Road general
How does everyone wash their Castelli Gabba Tops so it retains the water repellent finish (DWR).

Comments

• redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    viewtopic.php?f=40013&t=12956529&hilit=gabba

I have followed this advice http://forum.castelli-cycling.com/topic ... structions
    6 months on and my Gabba still beads/repels water like it did on day 1! And thats with washing it after every ride (which i know many owners prefer not to do).

Hope this helps.

Its a great jersey btw.
  • I have washed mine quite a few times - not every time I use it but probably every other ride. It had pretty much lost it's water repellancy, especially noticeable on the arms.

I have just recently washed it in Nikwax techwash, along with a few other similar garments, then put it, plus my nano-flex shorts and Sportful No-rain leg warmers, back onto another wash with Nikwax shoftshell reproofer:

http://www.nikwax.com/en-gb/products/pr ... abricid=-1

I haven't been out in it in the rain again since, but after I hung it up and dried it, I chucked a bit of water onto it and it beaded off straight away, so it looks like it has worked pretty well.

I have read that the spray-on type of re-proofer is best (as per the instructions given in a link above), but the wash-in was all the shop had, so I got that!
  • I wash mine in tesco own brand sports wash which is recommended for such materials and claims to aid water beading.
    They also do a spray on water repellant thingy .... Both are excellent and (from memory) about a fiver each.
    Still thinking of something clever to say!
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    I have some of that NikWax wash and reviver, but actually havent done it for my Gabba in ages. I dont go out in rain but if caught out then gets to be a useful piece of kit to be wearing. I use it mainly as a windstopper with a base layer or two underneath in this season. I just hate jackets.
  • Will "Halo Proactive Sports Wash Laundry Detergent" be ok to wash this?
    It won't damage the water repellent finish (DWR).
  • I've never found either of my Gabbas to be that water repellant - they are wind resistant and warm but nothing like waterproof.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH