Shimano RS685 hydraulic brakes

Marine Iguana
Marine Iguana Posts: 3
edited December 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi There,
I am considering upgrading from mechanical disc brakes to the new-ish Shimano RS685 hydraulic STI levers with BR-RS785 calipers as reviewed here http://road.cc/content/news/135549-first-ride-shimano-st-rs685-hydraulic-disc-brakes-mechanical-shifters
I would be very interested to hear anyones experience with these brakes before I fork out.

Comments

• Pryally
    Pryally Posts: 132
    I've tried all the the mechanical brakes, bb7, spyre, hy/rd and I'venow got some RS685 fitted. They are head and shoulders better than any mechanical disc brake I've (yes theyve been sey up with compressionless cables)including the hydraulic hy/rd. Easy to fit and just work (don't even screech in the wet!), all the others seem to be a comprimise.
  • I've had these on a new bike for the last 3/4 weeks and I'm very, very impressed.

Can only compare them to rim brakes to be honest and the difference is night and day as far as I'm concerned. I couldn't care less about rain or wet roads anymore - it's just not on my radar as shockingly bad braking isn't an issue (obviously there is a limit...normally called tyre grip :) )

So yeah...at the moment a very, very happy customer :)
  • Thanks Pryally & CookeeeMonster for your speedy replies. Great to hear - makes me much more confident to buy.
    Can I bother you with some specific queries that I haven't been able to get the answers to from Shimano web site?
    1. I have had issues with TRP Spyre brake calliper where the clearance between the calliper and spokes on the rear wheel is a fraction of 1mm. The Spyre brake calliper measures approx 19mm out from the edge of the disc rotor. Can you tell me this dimension on the Shimano RS785?
    2. When the brakes come ready bled - callipers & levers, did you need to reduce the length of the hoses get them to fit perfectly?
    3. In order to use the existing cable clamps along the top of the cross bar on my bike - is the outer diameter of the hose similar to the diameter of conventional brake cables?
    Thanks