Felt z95 or giant defy 3

Coley76
Coley76 Posts: 3
edited December 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi,

Thinking of getting a new bike. Going to go for a 2014 model and have narrowed it down to a felt z95 from wiggle @ £399 or a giant defy 3 @ £450 from Rutland cycles.

Like the felt but got a couple of concerns as it doesn't have rack or mudguard mounts. However I'm mainly going to use it for leisure riding and triathlons.

What are the pros and cons of these and would anyone recommend anything else? My budget tops out at £450.

Thanks

Gary

Comments

• Coley76 wrote:
    Hi,

Thinking of getting a new bike. Going to go for a 2014 model and have narrowed it down to a felt z95 from wiggle @ £399 or a giant defy 3 @ £450 from Rutland cycles.

Like the felt but got a couple of concerns as it doesn't have rack or mudguard mounts. However I'm mainly going to use it for leisure riding and triathlons.

What are the pros and cons of these and would anyone recommend anything else? My budget tops out at £450.

Thanks

Gary

I test rode the Giant before I bought my Synapse this summer. Super comfy, very solid stable ride. I only really chose the Synapse because the Defy's styling wasn't really for me. There wasn't anything in it ride wise.

The Felt looks a little racier?
  • rs6mra1
    rs6mra1 Posts: 105
    According to Felt the Z series are for touring/sportives and the F series are for racing..........what would be your preference?
  • I'd say ideally racing but f series are out of my price range, I was hoping for an all rounder that would work well on weekend rides and the occasional tri.
  • I have just got rid of Z series , Z5 to make way for my new summer bike. I have also just bought a Giant defy 3 from Rutland as my winter bike. Both super comfortable bikes but not racey in any way shape or form. Good service from Rutland although had to tweak the gears on arrival. I bought mine when they had an offer on of free mudguards and 10% of the value to use in the shop(£45) so was an absolute bargain. If you are thinking of it try ringing them see if you can negotiate a similar deal, I am sure at the very least they would give you the Giant mudguards.
  • SoSimple
    SoSimple Posts: 301
    Got a Defy 3 and for that money its a no brainer. If you can get the mudguards chucked in too, you'll be sorted for the winter.

Only weakness IMO are the wheels but for another £100/£150 as and when will be a great upgrade.
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    I've had a Z95 for just over a year; it's been a great bike and a superb first road bike. It got me into roadbiking and has been faultless really.

I'm going to sell it though, as I got into road biking I'm going to treat myself to an upgrade soon.