It band / spds

Ferrals
Ferrals Posts: 785
edited January 2015 in Health, fitness & training
I'm currently running flats, and having it band issues that are getting worse despite physio and excel sizes. I read somewhere on the net that spd can actually help it band issues if you utilise the pull up of the pedal stroke a bit too. Has anyone else had this issue and found spds help?
I know the common answers is spds are bad for knee pain but the it band problem is due to an imbalance in the hip muscles rather than an actual knee alignment issue.

Comments

• Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    I suffer from ITB issues, have no issues using flats though, mines caused by a non firing glute, having to avoid physio for it currently as the physio is through work but I need to be fit on paper for a few courses next year and physio will prevent that.

My ITB is now causing knee issues as its unstable when running amusing my knee to twist.

Hope you find a solution to yours as I know how annoying it can be.
  • Ferrals
    Cheers yeah it's a real fecker. What's the difference between a weak and non firing glute?
  • Antm81
    I'm no expert, but I believe a non firing muscle simply isn't doing anything (which I'm lead to believe is my problem resulting in the muscle connected to the top of my ITB doing the work instead), a weak muscle should still be working but less developed than others.like I said though I'm no expert and currently avoiding the physio I need so I can do these courses.
  • Ferrals
    Are you still riding through the pain? How long have you had the problem? Hope it goes away or you manage to get a bit of physio once you've done the courses.

What I don't really understand is that I'd never had issues and sudden it started- I wouldn't have thought my muscles would have suddenly got weaker.
  • Antm81
    Had the problem 5 years on and off but it's only the last couple of months it's been bad. I'm lucky that it doesn't affect me when riding, just when I run.

I originally did it doing the coast to coast walk, was about 120 miles in, was told it was because I wasn't used to walking so much. I guess it's just one of those things, your body compensates but can only do it so much.
  • Ferrals
    F@rk five years is a fair old time! I've been doing a fair bit of reading and reckon mine weren't firing either as to start off with I couldn't clench my buttocks independently(!!). Going to not ride till next Sunday and do as many stretching and strengthening exercises as I can to see how I get on. Planning on racing on Jan 4th but will probably just do the fun and not do the course preview as I should get through a couple of laps without pain.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    You should be able to engage more of the leg muscles as a result of switching to SPDs and possibly have the foot muscles slightly more relax due to the consistent platform. This may smooth out your pedal stroke and take the pressure off your IT band. Personally I find they are better for people who suffer with calf problems or cramps. Its common to scrunch the toes to grip with flats.

I use MTB SPDs on all my bikes (even the aero road/TT) and with multi-release, I've never found any real draw back over flats.

Occasionally I'll jump out of a cleat by accident, but its very rare. I've never had the problems of having a foot stuck in and crashing as a result apart from when a screw fell out of my cleat causing it to rotate in the clip instead of release.
  • Ferrals
    Cheers, the other thing I was thinking is if i got some of those specialized footbeds and shims to properly support my feet it mih make things better as I noticed i roll on my feet when doing one leg squats.

As it happens plenty of glute exersizes and stretches and tweaking my saddle position slightly seems to have made things a lot better.