SPD Pedals - I give up!

johngti
johngti Posts: 2,508
edited December 2014 in Road general
I'm just going to have to accept that if I want to use spd pedals and MTB shoes over the winter then my left knee will hurt. Back to the time xpressos then!

On the plus side, this will include a second pair of shoes to fit underneath my overshoes better...

Comments

• Have you tried something like Crankbrothers mtb pedals? Much more float than spd's ...
    Life is unfair, kill yourself or get over it.
  • johngti
    type:epyt wrote:
    Have you tried something like Crankbrothers mtb pedals? Much more float than spd's ...

I haven't. Tried the m520, a520 and the cheap spd-sl pedals that shimano do. Time work well for me mostly, just always been a little wary of them in the winter. Crank brothers worth a go then?
  • NeXXus
    NeXXus Posts: 854
    Cleats in same position? Saddle raised to offset any difference in pedal height, shoe thickness and so on?

Give this a go and see what happens http://youtu.be/ZvowJzYmglg
    And the people bowed and prayed, to the neon god they made.
  • johngti
    NeXXus wrote:
    Cleats in same position? Saddle raised to offset any difference in pedal height, shoe thickness and so on?

Give this a go and see what happens http://youtu.be/ZvowJzYmglg

Saddle adjusted to fit, I haven't checked the cleat positioning though. I'll look into that before I swap the pedals back. Very useful link too; I'll be trying that lot out

Thanks!
  • I find the SH56 cleats are more comfortable than the SH51.
  • tetley10
    tetley10 Posts: 693
    Can't you just get a new leg?
  • Time ATAC worked for me
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,481
    Get your clear position sorted otherwise your storing up problems for later with your knee.
    Egg beaters have a great float but require a higher level of maintenance than you normally have with road pedals and I always got hot spots on my feet after a couple of hours.

If you can use the specific kit for the right dicipline, I appreciate its not always possible but overshoes would be my consideration otherwise you chase problems through until you end up with the right kit and set up. It's cheaper in the long run... :wink:
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • johngti
    Thanks for all the suggestions (new leg might be the winner). The best pedals I have are the xpresso, just got a blind spot re using them in winter as one of my riding buddies has an unnatural urge to find the steepest hills he can and ride up - I can usually make it but there are one or two where it's nice to have shoes on that I can walk in! Stupid really. I'll have a fiddle with the spd cleats but otherwise probably put the times on and be done with it!
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    Sit on the edge of your kitchen table, with your legs dangling over the side. The angle that your feet hang at is the exact angle you need to replicate with your cleat orientation.

You can set any cleats wrong. This isn't an SPD problem.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    I only use SPD's on all my bikes. I find road touring shoes pretty good for the road bike and a bit lighter than my studded MTB XC shoes

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shim ... -prod69969