Why such big bike price differences?

yertez
yertez Posts: 80
edited December 2014 in Road buying advice
I am in the market for a Felt AR5 (or poss a Giant Propel 3).
Wiggle price new £1899.
Lesiurewheels.co.uk £1351
cyclelane.co.uk £1450
LBS (Hargroves) £1899

What do I get for my extra £450 ?

Comments

• TheHound
    TheHound Posts: 284
    Haribo
    Bianchi Intenso Athena
    Handbuilt Wheels by dcrwheels.co.uk
    Fizik Cyrano R3 Handlebars
    Selle Italia SLR Kit Carbonio Flow saddle
    Deda Superleggero seatpost
  • Do they all give the same test and return conditions, are they all exactly the same bike and specs? If yes welcome to the competitive market where different companies choose different models to discount to attract attention and sales.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    TheHound wrote:
    Haribo
    £450 of haribo must come in a big box :)
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    I got a felt ar5 last night at our Christmas do. MrsNapD wasn't very happy.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    yertez wrote:
    Wiggle price new £1899.
    cyclelane.co.uk £1450
    LBS (Hargroves) £1899

Are they all 2015 models?
  • yertez wrote:
    Wiggle price new £1899.
    cyclelane.co.uk £1450
    LBS (Hargroves) £1899

This year's model. The two lower priced bikes are the 2014 models, and both Lesiurewheels.co.uk and cycyclelane.co.uk have the 2015 model for sale too, and both are selling it for £1899.
  • 2015 model has 11 speed 105 while the 2014 is 10 speed and has different paint.

Wiggle is showing me a price of £1671.12 (inc Haribo).
  • DKay
    2015 model has 11 speed 105 while the 2014 is 10 speed and has different paint.

Wiggle is showing me a price of £1671.12 (inc Haribo).

It's a bit more than that. The 2015 has full 5800, whereas the 2014 has a crap FSA Omega crankset, which weighs the same as the Millenium Falcon. Also, the 2015 model comes with the vibration reducing 3T seatpost which has an integrated elastomer.
  • yertez
    OK, looks like I need to read the spec a bit more carefully.
    Still £1899 for me on Wiggle ...

Thanks for the advice.
  • Wiggle give discounts based on how much you've spent in the last 365 days. See http://www.wiggle.co.uk/h/option/custom ... nd-reviews

You are seeing the list price - I'm guessing that Guernsey Donkey is a Platinum customer, so gets 12% off, dropping the price down to £1,671.12

What this means for you is that if you plan to buy the Felt from Wiggle and need other stuff too, buy the other stuff first and spend £500, and then buy the bike, getting the 12% off, saving £227.88 on the bike. This means that you get your £500 of other stuff for £272.12, which is a pretty good saving.

If you buy the other stuff second, your 12% discount that you now qualify for will only save you £60.
  • DKay
    Alternatively, go to your LBS and see if they'll be willing to price match the 12% Wiggle discount. I reckon they'd be willing to do it.
  • DKay wrote:
    Alternatively, go to your LBS and see if they'll be willing to price match the 12% Wiggle discount. I reckon they'd be willing to do it.

Only worth it if free Haribo is provided too... :roll:
  • NapoleonD wrote:

Jealous?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • yertez
    Thanks for the Wiggle tip too.
    I'm on £150 for the last 12 months, so spending another £350 - maybe on wheels would knock £228 off the £1899 AR5.
    (Actually £133 as I'm already a Gold member with 5% discount)

Feeling an attack of 'man maths' coming on...
  • DKay wrote:
    [quote="Guernsey Donkeywhereas the 2014 has a crap FSA Omega crankset, which weighs the same as the Millenium Falcon.

:lol:
  • meesterbond
    meesterbond Posts: 1,240
    NapoleonD wrote:

1233928590_citizen%20kane%20clapping.gif
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Wiggle give discounts based on how much you've spent in the last 365 days. See http://www.wiggle.co.uk/h/option/custom ... nd-reviews

You are seeing the list price - I'm guessing that Guernsey Donkey is a Platinum customer, so gets 12% off, dropping the price down to £1,671.12

What this means for you is that if you plan to buy the Felt from Wiggle and need other stuff too, buy the other stuff first and spend £500, and then buy the bike, getting the 12% off, saving £227.88 on the bike. This means that you get your £500 of other stuff for £272.12, which is a pretty good saving.

If you buy the other stuff second, your 12% discount that you now qualify for will only save you £60.

Guernsey Donkey also doesn't pay VAT so the system will automatically defer to ex VAT price therefore showing lower than UK price.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.