Tour Of Wessex - Accommodation

redjeepǃ
redjeepǃ Posts: 531
Hi all,

My beautiful and loving wife is buying me entry into a major multi day sportive in 2015 as a Christmas present :D , and I'm looking at a few options of which the Tour Of Wessex is coming out on top.

It ticks most of the boxes, but I'm struggling to find any accommodation at a reasonable price (i.e. less than £100 per night) so it looks like I may be camping.

Has anybody done this at the TofW ? Any comments ? I'm not sure I fancy the idea if it's wet. Also what about bike security ?

I don't know if I'll be doing it on my own or will be able to persuade a couple of mates to join in.

Comments

• Can't help with camping, but there are various B&B/SC options in the local area if you have transport. I've stayed at Lower Coxbridge House (http://www.lowercoxbridgehouse.co.uk/) a couple of times, which should fit your budget and is ~20 min drive from the start.
  • For the last few years, I've camped at Bowden's Crest which is 5 miles from the start village. Its a really lovely, peaceful camp site, which has a bar and restaurant which will save you hassle cooking for yourself if you choose. It also has a stunning view over the Levels.

They also have lots of static caravans if you and your mates preferred that. Its much more popular with the cyclists than the canvas option - although there's always a few of us in tents, there always seem to be loads of cyclists in the static caravans that weekend. But the campsite is still really peaceful.

Horses for courses, but I wouldn't fancy staying at the official camp site - its a football pitch with tents. I've occasionally used the showers at the start/end village before going back to the camp site, but its a real lottery whether they are running hot or cold - I've been very grateful to know that I can go elsewhere for a proper warm shower.
  • Thanks guys. Will check them out.