New Job for Summer Term = N+1

voodooman
voodooman Posts: 183
edited December 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi all

I'm going to be in the market for a weekend / sportive / trytri bike from April onwards. Budget of £2000.

Currently ride my Ridley X-bow everywhere and it will then become my commute only bike - leaving the guards, rack and durano plus tyres on.

Not bothered about brand, but here's the catch - I weigh between 100 and 110 kilos and am 6'6" tall. Some bikes with the real skinny seatstays make me think one is going to snap and find its way up my a@*e. Which bikes would people recommend? Oh and ideally want disc brakes to hold everything back when needed.

I've so far looked at Hargroves (Spesh Roubaix and Tarmac + GT grade) but am also considering a Vankru bespoke with 105 as it comes with a bike fit. Got to be honest I'd like a Ridley Noah but cannot justify over 2 1/2 grand.

Comments

• Waste of money, the Ridley will still be the better bike, the more fun to ride, the more versatile, the one that goes everywhere... Get three wheel sets for that one fitted with fast road tyres, commuting/touring tyres and CX tyres and you'll have three different bikes for far less money
    left the forum March 2023
  • £2k is a pretty healthy budget for a new bike, you say you want to try sportives or Triathlons on it so I guess you're looking for a more racy machine?
    However tbf the Xbow will still be able to handle either reasonably well with a change of tyres or wheels- although if you find you get serious at the triathlons or racing then a dedicated bike could be useful.
    It might be worth having a go with the xbow for now to see what you enjoy doing before buying a much more expensive machine.

That being said the Scott Foil jumps to mind for Triathlon and fast sportive use, although there is a wealth of machines out there.
  • Canyon Ultimate AL. They're strong light and come in big sizes, you also get quite a lot for your money. I've got a 66cm and a 64cm
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • voodooman wrote:
    Hi all

I'm going to be in the market for a weekend / sportive / trytri bike from April onwards. Budget of £2000.

Currently ride my Ridley X-bow everywhere and it will then become my commute only bike - leaving the guards, rack and durano plus tyres on.

Not bothered about brand, but here's the catch - I weigh between 100 and 110 kilos and am 6'6" tall. Some bikes with the real skinny seatstays make me think one is going to snap and find its way up my a@*e. Which bikes would people recommend? Oh and ideally want disc brakes to hold everything back when needed.

I've so far looked at Hargroves (Spesh Roubaix and Tarmac + GT grade) but am also considering a Vankru bespoke with 105 as it comes with a bike fit. Got to be honest I'd like a Ridley Noah but cannot justify over 2 1/2 grand.

Hargroves will give you a bike fit if you buy a Roubaix. I was 105kg when I bought mine from them. Put 25mm tyres and you will be fine.

Having said that, my Diverge with 30mm tyres is even more comfortable, better looking than the GT grade and weighs almost the same as the Roubaix. its just more comfortable on rough surfaces (what we call roads around here).
  • Thanks for replies.

Ugo - you might be onto something there, the idea would be that the xbow is used for commuting only. But you're right of course as it's really comfy and can take me plus rucksack or panniers. And I can keep up with most of my mates on their racier machines when I put my mind to it (in fact I seem to be at the front of the group every time it's flat or there's a headwind).

Honestly though, I'd be tempted to get you to build me a couple of wheels for racier stuff. What sort of cost for a decent set that could be swapped on for weekends and the odd race? Max spend of say £250. I like 28c tyres as they're frankly comfier and deal with the cruddy roads in and around the Forest.

I'll leave the cross wheels though for next season if I decide to give it a go.