Ghost Tacana 7 vs Cube Attention SL 29

s0crates
s0crates Posts: 10
edited December 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hello,

Can you please advise on the following models:

Ghost Tacana 7 (850euro)

Cube Attention SL 29 (900euro)

The Tacana is with the Rock Shox 30 Gold Solo Air, and the Attention is with Rock Shox XC 32 TK SoloAir.

The Tacana weights 12.7kg and the Attention 13.1kg

At the moment my favorite is the Tacana in terms of looks and LBS seems more professional than the Cube LBS.

How do those two forks compare? Is there any noticeable difference between the two in terms of performance?

Keep in mind this will be essentially my first hardtail MTB.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The 32 is noticeably stiffer, I also prefer the spec of the Cube a little better elsewhere, ignore the weights unless you can check them, different manufacturers have different standards, sometimes the heavier bike can be lighter!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thanks for the input. I'm still trying to find conclusive info about these forks. I know they are entry level and for my purposes (not real heavy riding) I won't be able to tell much difference. But in most sites the 30 Gold is 50-100 euros more expensive than the 32, why is that?

Other than that, most of the other parts look the same to me. Like I said in my OP I'm a bit worried about the level of professionalism of the Cube seller and the service he might be able to offer, but if it turns out it's worth it, I will go for the Attention SL instead.
  • The Rookie
    The 32 seems to be steel station only, the Gold with ally stanchions is lighter and will cost more.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Ah I see. Thanks The Rookie, I appreciate it
  • The Rookie
    I'd missed the fact the 32 was steel stanchion, so although stiffness is nice, the Ghost has the better fork.
  • Yes that's true. Well in the end I went with the Ghost anyway, I like the guys there and their service, and the Ghost brand seems to be getting a lot of attention lately, so I think it will be an ok purchase :) Even took it for a first ride, everything seemed perfect :) Thanks for the help