Carrera Crossfire Offroad?

zedthegreat
zedthegreat Posts: 9
edited December 2014 in MTB beginners
Hi all

I've been riding my Carrera Crossfire 3 ( http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/h ... xl-21#tab2 ) for a few years and it has done it's primary job well - getting me into cycling!. So far everything I have done on it has been road or well looked after canal path, but I would love to give some entry level mountain biking a go. Which brings me to my question...

Has anyone got any experience of riding a bike such as this off road? It would be green and blue trails I would be going on, being a noob, but would hope this would be OK with some suitable tyres (happy for recommendations also)? Or is this a daft idea which should be avoided at all costs?

PS - new bike out the question, until I pay off my new road bike :D

Cheers
K

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    It will be OK for gentle offroad on fire roads and the like, but not full on mountain biking.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thanks for your opinion The Rookie. If I can ask, what would you consider full on mountain biking? Would the grades I mentioned come under that banner?

Cheers
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Try it and see. MTB s were originally rigids
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    At most centres it will be fine on greens and most blues.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    The Rookie wrote:
    At most centres it will be fine on greens and most blues.

You could do reds n blacks on it.