what else do I need

MrHaematocrit
MrHaematocrit Posts: 10
edited December 2014 in Cyclocross
Fancy having a go a CX so purchased this from my LBS. It's a S-Works Crux disc with SRAM CX1, Rovals, S-Works CX carbon finishing kit

What else do I need to have a go a cx

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Assuming you have enough money left over to enter a race......then nothing. Most newcomers to CX tend to start out with something a little less elaborate, but each to their own...

In any case, you might need to hang it up until next autumn (depending on where you are), as a lot of the local leagues are now finished.
  • If that's the exact bike you bought then you might need some different tires, those slicks won't get you anywhere in mud
  • VamP
    VamP Posts: 674
    Definitely another one exactly the same, but with a lot more wheelsets to suit different conditions. As a minimum two sets of dry, intermediate and mud tyres. FMB preferably.

Actually, make that two more. And a turbo and rollers for warm ups. And a big van to warm up in. And move your crap about. With a driver.

A generator, a jet wash, a bowser, and at least two pit crew. Two, no make that three pairs of shoes. Lots of clothes. Remember to have a clean team jersey always ready for the podium ceremony.

That might be enough to get you started...
  • Tyres.... Fitness, handling and tyres are pretty much the only three things that matter. You can't buy the first two, but you can buy some decent tyres. Are the rims clinchers or tubulars?
    left the forum March 2023
  • The rims are tubeless clinchers, the tyres were put on so I can get used to the bike as my LBS said CX tyres were not suitable and fast wearing for a mix of surfaces such as towpath, road. I'm not sure what tyres I should get for competing
  • The rims are tubeless clinchers, the tyres were put on so I can get used to the bike as my LBS said CX tyres were not suitable and fast wearing for a mix of surfaces such as towpath, road. I'm not sure what tyres I should get for competing

Your LBS is correct.

I have recently used Vittoria XG TNT, which are tubeless and very nice, but it's getting a bit too muddy even for those. I purchased a pair of WTB Crosswolf (currently half price at CRC), still to be delivered, these also are tubeless and should be better in mud and sandy soft soil. I prefer to use tubeless tyres as they are air tight and don't give you any grief with air loss, however, as a rule of thumb, many non tubeless tyres can be run tubeless with a few notable exceptions (mainly Challenge tyres). People seem to rate Michelin mud and Clement PDX... plenty of choice, really
  • devhads
    devhads Posts: 236
    Actually, make that two more

Make that three more, (one for me) and I'll be your pit crew at a small number of selected races, (assuming your not in the vets) :lol:
  • imposter2.0
    The rims are tubeless clinchers, the tyres were put on so I can get used to the bike as my LBS said CX tyres were not suitable and fast wearing for a mix of surfaces such as towpath, road. I'm not sure what tyres I should get for competing

As has already been said, I think the money would have been better spent on a couple of sets of wheels - and I'm not sure a tubeless setup would feature on either set...
  • So are you Peloton's Mr. H, or just pretending to be?
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    VamP wrote:
    Definitely another one exactly the same, but with a lot more wheelsets to suit different conditions. As a minimum two sets of dry, intermediate and mud tyres. FMB preferably.

Actually, make that two more. And a turbo and rollers for warm ups. And a big van to warm up in. And move your crap about. With a driver.

A generator, a jet wash, a bowser, and at least two pit crew. Two, no make that three pairs of shoes. Lots of clothes. Remember to have a clean team jersey always ready for the podium ceremony.

That might be enough to get you started...
    You're over-simplifying, as always. For instance, if you're on FMB tyres, you really want a choice of Super Muds or Slaloms for muddy conditions, and for some intermediate conditions I think there's a case for putting a Fango on the front (yes, I really did say FMB Fango). If you're on Challenge, the same applies for Limus / Mini Limus

Shoes - you really want two sets of normal shoes and then another two pairs for really cold conditions, plus a pair of wellies. If you take kids racing, you ideally want SPD wellies to pre-ride the U10 course (I will be sporting a pair next season). Plus a set of shoes to drive to/from the event.

At least 2 skinsuits (SS lycra and LS Roubaix), plus shorts/jersey for the warm up, Chippendale-style full-zip warm up tights (ideally 2 pairs), 2 team jackets (one to pre-ride the course, one for the prizegiving), few base layers, spare helmet, choice of different length studs. Pit bag containing spare mech, spare hanger, spare chain (correct length), spare pedals, GT-85, hex keys, multitools, food/drink, penknife (to remove course tape), pressure gauge, track pump.

Some people take a selection of cassettes, but I think that's overkill.
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • imposter2.0
    Did anyone remember to bring the petrol for the genny..?? oh...
  • tgotb
    Imposter wrote:
    Petrol's normally provided at the bigger events; you'll find it in plastic cans distributed around the bike washing area...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • To the OP:
    You really only need a set of tyres suitable for mud, you've got everything else there. I know a guy or two who routinely finish half way in their age group without getting lapped and only have one set of wheels, one set of tyres, one bike, no pit crew and no other paraphernalia.
    It was interesting to see a guy on a full suspension mountain bike with 2.5 inch tyres walking the muddy sections, while (younger) lads on very basic bikes with standard cheap CX tyres were flying past
  • VamP
    TGOTB wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    Petrol's normally provided at the bigger events; you'll find it in plastic cans distributed around the bike washing area...

The bike washing areas are such a warzone, you're liable to get buried in a mass grave for pinching someones petrol! In fact you might get buried in a mass grave just by being there.

Loving SPD wellies :D

I might swing back to FMBs next season, as Dugasts are too fragile, Challenge aren't quite there, and the Vittorias I just experimented with are really rather poor :(
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,114
    VamP wrote:
    I might swing back to FMBs next season, as Dugasts are too fragile, Challenge aren't quite there, and the Vittorias I just experimented with are really rather poor :(

Don't forget the spare rear mech hanger. :twisted:
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Surprised no one's suggested a motorhome, best with a forty-footer with an awning to keep you dry for warm-ups on your rollers ;-)
    http://cdn.mos.bikeradar.com/images/new ... 700-80.jpg
    Apparently Dirk Hoffman does some nice ones :-D
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Monty Dog wrote:
    Surprised no one's suggested a motorhome, best with a forty-footer with an awning to keep you dry for warm-ups on your rollers ;-)
    http://cdn.mos.bikeradar.com/images/new ... 700-80.jpg
    Apparently Dirk Hoffman does some nice ones :-D

.. well, you need two actually, one with bigger tyres for boggy fields

b261d8e72017b6222317b28ffa7b1348.jpg
  • VamP
    andyp wrote:
    VamP wrote:

Doh!
  • tgotb
    VamP wrote:
    andyp wrote:

Doh!
    Guessing that's what went wrong on Sunday? I only rode the U10 course (in wellies) but didn't seem *that* bad...

I genuinely have a hanger and mech in the pit bag...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • VamP
    TGOTB wrote:
    VamP wrote:
    andyp wrote:

Doh!
    Guessing that's what went wrong on Sunday? I only rode the U10 course (in wellies) but didn't seem *that* bad...

I genuinely have a hanger and mech in the pit bag...

You made the right decision. It was very attritional, just massive accumulation of grass and mud composite. My mech went just after the pits, and faced with nearly a mile and half of running, possibly aggravating my knee injury and demoralised as I was by the manflu episode anyway, I decided to call it a day.

My pitbag has four spare hangers :P (well, three now)