What tyres

timboellis
timboellis Posts: 223
edited January 2015 in Road beginners
I have decided that i will be doing a good few miles shortly approx 200 mile a week is the plan, however i am still using the tyres that came with my road bike.

So what exactly would i be looking at and size looing at min of 30-50 per run and an odd 100 mile run.

DO i go for slightly bigger tyres / more grip etc.?

Comments

• You haven't narrowed it down much - terrain? In general, a bigger tyre with more grip is an asset, but longevity, cost, puncture resistance and other factors are all at least as important.
  • JayKosta
    JayKosta Posts: 635
    Several things to consider ....

Tires that are advertised as 'race' tires will typically NOT give high mileage use - they are built for very good grip in fast tight turns and minimum weight.

'Training' or 'touring' tires will typically give longer use. Touring tires are usually heavier and more durable for multi-day, long distance riding with camping gear, etc.

See how your current tires last, and whether the ride is comfortable. If you want more comfort, then a wider tire might work - e.g. a 25 or 28 mm instead of 23 mm. Note that a larger tire might require a larger size inner tube. A wider tire will generally last longer, but will probably weigh more, which has an effect on how the bike responds.

The rear tire will probably wear much faster (about 2X) than the front - watch to see when the tread on the rear has worn with a central wide smooth flat area - the tread is getting quite thin by that time.

My choice for good weather rides is a 'training' tire that is fairly light weight, and at a reasonable price.

Jay Kosta
    Endwell NY USA
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    As above there are a few factors we don' know that will come into it including typical road surface quality you ride on, your weight, clearance available on your bike, how much of a priority you put on puncture protection, speed, etc.
    The tyres I've used recently:
    - Continental 4 seasons which are very expensive but great all-rounders. They last very well, have decent grip in a variety of conditions, provide some puncture protection and are still relatively light and fast.
    - Mavic Yksion Powergrip/Progrip came on my new bike and are lovely tyres for comfort and feel. They get bad reports for wet grip although I never had a problem but then I wasn't really pushing them too hard. I'm a bit cautious in corners. They also seem to be wearing reasonably quick.
    - I've just started using a set of Michelin Pro4 Service Course tyres and so far these seem very nice. First impressions are that they're a bit more comfortable than the 4 seasons and seem pretty fast although that could be in my head! These were on sale from a few online shops a few weeks ago and still might be (Wiggle, Chainreactioncycles, etc). I'd recommend them based on my experiences so far. They also have some puncture protection but are lightweight training/race tyres. There's also a more hard wearing and puncture protected version called the Pro4 Endurance which is probably more akin to the 4 Seasons tyre.

I use or did use all of the above in 25mm sizes. If your bike has enough clearance which most do then why use 23mm? Especially if you're not a very lightweight rider.
  • Thanks for the feedback so far , I currently am 90kg planning to loose a lot of that with this training.
    Roads are not smooth up here pretty poor.
    As for punctures the less the better
    WIll be riding in the wet quite often.
    For clearance not a clue its a Planet X RT-58

Tim
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    If you can fit 25 or 28mm then yes, do it. I'd suggest Schwalbe Durano or Michelin Pro 4 Endurance. If you have the money then Continental 4 Season are supposed to be excellent. Don't pump them up too hard, around 100 psi should be OK.

For anyone short of cash Spa Cycles have Schwalbe Blizzards for around a tenner here. They roll and grip well. I ran the 23mm Sport for over 3,000 miles, much of it on country lanes, with no problems and only one puncture. I haven't tried the kevlar version.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • SoSimple
    SoSimple Posts: 301
    I've got a Planet X RT58 and you'll get away with 25mm but not sure about 28mm.

I bought it with Conti GP4000s 2's in 25mm and so far so good with them. I've no experience of the Michelins but have Conti GP4S on my Giant Defy and have to say they've brilliant so far - 2000 miles and no issues and thats on rubbish roads!
  • fudgey
    fudgey Posts: 854
    +1 for the Michelin pro4 endurance.

Currently running these with no issues so far.
    My winter bike is exactly the same as my summer bike,,, but dirty...
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    I weight about 100kg being tall and finpd 4 seasons last well and no problems with punctures means I can just get on and ride.
  • I had some no idea crappy tyres on the bike when I bought it but carried on using them until punctures became an issue (I cycle past a whole lane of recycle centres) . I wanted to get some GP 4 seasons but couldn't find any at a good price so went for the 'gator skin ' option and immediately found them a lot more comfortable despite running higher pressures. OK grip but not a lot of tread. Had some wheelspin this morning when I attacked a hill.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    ... OK grip but not a lot of tread. Had some wheelspin this morning when I attacked a hill.

The general consensus is that tread (or rather pattern) is not a factor in grip on a bicycle tyre. Tread helps manage water to prevent aquaplanning which just isn't an issue on something with a contact area of probably less than 20mm. Wheelspin is a common issue when attacking a climb and can be resolved by either shifting one's weight back slightly or staying seated...or if it is a 20% climb then just back off (no point wasting effort). I have also found shifting up a gear can alleviate wheelspin as it lowers the leverage.