Cycle to Work

Spatulala
Spatulala Posts: 291
edited December 2014 in Road buying advice
Stopped being self employed in April, just been told I can set up a C2W scheme, wondered which is the best scheme, or if they are all the same? For higher rate taxpayers, do the savings still stack up?

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Try commuting chat. Some knowledgeable chaps and legal eagles in there
  • handful
    handful Posts: 920
    They are all similar, the savings for higher rate tax payers are better obviously because they get more tax relief! There has been a lot of tightening up of the rules, particularly on taxable value of the bike at the end of the scheme and it taxes a bit of creative thinking (read tax dodging :lol: ) to get over that, many schemes now operate over a longer period eg 3 years (still pay over 1 year but retain ownership for 3) to reduce the tax burden as without that it probably wouldn't be worth doing. Main pitfalls are over top ups to a more expensive bike are sometimes not allowed and also many retailers (like Planet X) add 10% to the price of their bikes or at least sale prices gain negating the value.

There is loads of info online I would suggest Cyclescheme is one of the best due to it's wide retailer base including loads of LBSs, they have a good explanation of what's involved in setting a scheme up.
    Vaaru Titanium Sram Red eTap
    Moda Chord with drop bars and Rival shifters - winter/do it all bike
    Orbea Rise
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    I think they all work the same but I've been very happy with the service provided by 'cyclescheme' & their vouchers are very widely accepted - maybe more widely than other schemes.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.