Saddle Rail Distance

proto
proto Posts: 1,483
edited December 2014 in Workshop
I need to make a new saddle clamp for one of my bikes and I'm struggling to find the correct pitch for the saddle rails. The broken part suggests the pitch is something like 43.2mm. Seems like an odd number so I've measured three different new saddles and got three different figures - 42.5mm, 43.0mm and 43.6/43.7mm (not parallel).

Anyone know if there is such a thing as an international standard? I found some reference to 44mm somewhere on a discussion of Brooks saddles but not sure if it was relevant.

Most saddles will flex/distort enough to accommodate some variation in width, but the saddle I'm intending to fit has carbon rails (43.0mm apart) and I'm anxious not to load the carbon rails in a way for which they were not designed.

Thanks

Comments

• It seems to be between 43 and 44 mm depending on the model
    left the forum March 2023
  • proto
    proto Posts: 1,483
    I've just measured the mating top clamp and it is 43.42mm. Probably best if upper and lower clamp match (I'm making the lower clamp), so that's the figure I'll use for the lower. I'm hoping the carbon rail saddle can forgive me the 0.42mm 'squeeze'.

This is off a Pinarello Dogma seat clamp, so one would assume of decent quality. However from a precision engineering point of view, it really is a piece of junk. How the hell they can justify £300.00, (yes, really, £300.00) for a new one defies belief. I'd hate to see how bad a cheap one would be.
  • proto wrote:
    I've just measured the mating top clamp and it is 43.42mm. Probably best if upper and lower clamp match (I'm making the lower clamp), so that's the figure I'll use for the lower. I'm hoping the carbon rail saddle can forgive me the 0.42mm 'squeeze'.

This is off a Pinarello Dogma seat clamp, so one would assume of decent quality. However from a precision engineering point of view, it really is a piece of junk. How the hell they can justify £300.00, (yes, really, £300.00) for a new one defies belief. I'd hate to see how bad a cheap one would be.

Funny enough, I have owned a Kalloy in the past... kind of 10 quid job on Ebay and it was pretty damn good. I agree most clamps on the market are junk... I stick to an old Chorus Steel, which is well designed, works well and it's creak free
    left the forum March 2023