Money well spent?

southdownswolf
southdownswolf Posts: 1,525
edited December 2014 in Road general
So after Brighton Council paid £600k to "improve" the cycle infrastructure around the city centre, 3 cyclists fell off their bike yesterday on the newly opened cycle path on Lewes Road. This was due to a "half kerb" running alongside the cycle path that is hard to see due to the paint.

http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/11677816.After_three_crashes_in_five_minutes__new___600k_cycle_lane_branded_a____death_trap___/

Not only that, but a car driver got confused this morning as to where to go on another stretch...

attachment.php?attachmentid=61025&stc=1&d=1418992400

bless em...

Comments

• OMG!!!* Did you see Simon Coopers injuries???

*sarcasm for those without the inbuilt detector
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • OMG!!!* Did you see Simon Coopers injuries???

*sarcasm for those without the inbuilt detector

I am surprised he is still alive though, he wasn't wearing a helmet.
    That knee must tingle a bit.....
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    It's been branded a 'death trap' because you can't see the curb :shock: .....it's the grey thing to the left of the red paint :wink:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • It's not the kerb in the OP's photo that they're talking about, click on the story link and look at the second and third photos.
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    It's not the kerb in the OP's photo that they're talking about, click on the story link and look at the second and third photos.

I did read the article, in which it says......
    Mr Cooper, who was cycling to work at the University of Sussex, said: “The cycle lane is raised above the road and the kerb is impossible to see.

So I guess to be fair it's the kerb to the right of the lane that could be the problem :wink:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    looks like they have tried to go from road to cycle lane and mashed it on the kerb. The losers should learn to bunny hop :D

agree daft design either fully segregate or have it at same level. its a stupid halfway house
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • i'll wager they will just attempt to fix the issue with a small sign that cyclists will whizz past and not see!
    Cube Cross 2016
    Willier GTR 2014