Theft Insurance Abroad

katiebob
katiebob Posts: 208
edited February 2018 in Road general
Hi,

Going to Majorca and have hired bikes from pollensa cycling. If the bikes are stolen we are liable for the full retail cost.

My travel insurance doesnt cover this (as they arent our bikes), nor do british cycling. Is there a way to get cover or will we have to sleep with them under our pillows?

Comments

• Does the shop offer optional insurance as an extra?
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • katiebob
    Only for damage - not for theft/loss.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Named high value item on home contents insurance, covered for theft and damage abroad with directline... I suspect most insurance companies would do the same and is not all that expensive
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    nah you d be paying either a full year for the privalage or cancelation fees plus i doubt it would work as you d have no proof of ownership, fraud really.
    i believe that if you pay for the hire with a credit card, you ll have protection against this BUT you d need to double check with your card issuer first, tbh we ve never had any issues with bike theft in Mallorca, just take common sense precautions, use a light weight lock like an Abus and dont let them out of your sight.
  • katiebob
    cool. thanks all :-)
  • Stas_
    Stas_ Posts: 2
    Hey there!
    I'm going to Mallorca in March and have the same question about thefts and insurance :-)
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Treat them as if they're your own. Don't leave them out of your sight and you'll be ok.
  • Stas_
    Stas_ Posts: 2
    cougie wrote:
    Treat them as if they're your own. Don't leave them out of your sight and you'll be ok.

Thanks!